Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had retained my original jelly jar master cylinder mainly for the pushrod. I recalled from earlier posts it would be used when I purchased the 74 Maverick dual m/c for replacement.

At first, I had a very difficult time getting the rod removed from the piston sleeve. I eventually got it removed and determined the little plastic "c-ring" was really keeping it retained within the housing. I kept both it and the rubber pad and went to insert it into the new m/c.

However, I do not see any relief area inside the end of the new m/c. It is simply a smooth surface inside until it bottoms out.

Question: Does this sound correct? Do I not need the plastic "c-ring" and/or the rubber pad? Do I only use the robber pad? Will the spring pressure inside the m/c and the spring pressure from the brake housing keep the rod and cylinder pressed against each other?

·
Registered
553 Posts
i believe i recall seeing one of the other many posts on this conversion and someone had that same question. i think the concensus was that you did not need that clip. everything would stay in place just fine without it. i searched back in some of the m/c posts i had bookmarked, but it was not one that i had bookmarked. (i just read about the conversion for now, i'm too chicken to try it myself yet /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif) maybe a search yourself might find that post.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need the pedal stop that is on the brake pedal itself on 65's, or you need that clip holding the brake rod inside the MC piston. If you can pull the brake pedal back towards the steering wheel far enough for that rod to come out of the back of the master cylinder and fall straight down, that is a huge problem. Hard enough acceleration could cause the brake pedal to swing far enough to cause this same scenario to happen. A surprise like this could make your eyes water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts