Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else notice the strangely unexplained results in this article? The 66 Shelby GT350 averaging 16.48, the 70 Boss 302 running an average 15.64 or the 68 Shelby GT500 convertible running one pass of 14.50 and a second pass of 16.68? Even the 72 Mach 1's performance seemed strange averaging 17.32 with a best of 17.04, running right there with the Explorer at 17.30. The text of the article, meanwhile, described the Boss 302 as putting down consistent low 15's and the 66 Shelby as running a best of 15.20 which was nowhere to be found in the stats. His best run was a 15.76. The text seemed to focus on the challenge between the 65 GT350R and the 68 1/2 CJ. They put down some blistering runs, but I would have preferred hearing more about those other cars and less about the GT350R's bad clutch. As an old time street racer, everyone I ever beat had a "bad clutch".

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Those two cars really were the story. A "grudge match" between the GT-350R ('65) and the GT-500KR. The others were just there to join in the fun. The GT-350 is Rick Kopec's 5R098 (vin), probably one of the more famous of the R-models. The only GT-350 Carroll himself ever raced in competition (in a benefits race a few years back).

http://www.bluestang.com/users/timbeam/5R098.jpg

I guess next time I head to the strip, I should bring my Explorer.../forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kopec's opponent was a 68 1/2 CJ. The GT500KR was one of the cars "along for the ride". If the story was the CJ vs. the GT350R then that should have been the extent of the statistical data presented. By including all the other data the author had an obligation to address it (accurately)and discuss it. I'm amused to see that even "significant" cars like Mr. Kopec's have bad clutches when they get beaten.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It was a few weeks ago when I read it, but I got the impression that the guy that wrote it wasn't normally one of the writers but another staff member (advertising salesman I think) that happened upon this otherwise unpublicized event. How cool would that be??!!

It interested me because I have a warm spot for #098 - it's kind of like the Frank Sinatra of the racers, doing what it was meant to do many many years past what is thought possible.
(I guess its a good thing it wasn't born a Dragster)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts