Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at my Mach 1 after it was recently painted, the hood paint looked different than original. I quizzed the shop and it was painted with a satin gloss black paint.

After looking at MOC WON's Mach 1 this weekend, I realize its the wrong paint and should be either repro'd paint:

http://autobodydepot.net/scripts/depot.exe?pgm=itemdet.bbx&id=PPG+DDL9381-QT&custnum=WEB-CUST++&password=&sesid=0807075229

or 2pac with a flattening base:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=1&Board=forum&Number=431908&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

I've started talking to the garage about changing it but they're not exactly excited about the idea and I've no clue on how tough its going to be to get it right.

It being wrong will drive my crazy (its been too long and too many $ not to be right). so how bad is it going to be to fix? How should it be fixed? Should they fix it at their expense? In all fairness, I looked at the car awhile back and ok'd it but thought they must know what they're doing.

Gah, never say done, never say done.

G

·
0 Posts
IMO, if you "approved" it you're probably on the hook for it. If it's a reputable shop why not try and work something out where say you might pay for paint, equipment usage and half the labor. The shop would pay for half the labor and the overhead/profit. This way nobody would lose the entire cost. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Talk to the shop owner and try to work something out. If he is a regular body shop and not a restoration shop you should not have expected him to know about concourse correct paint. Most likely you got what you asked for, especially if you had to compare it to other cars to find out its wrong...

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i recently bought a 69 mach 1. its red with the black in the hood. im not sure whats its suppose to be on a 69. flat maybe. the guy who redid the car and hood, painted it gloss/gloss black and i love it its a beautiful and this may be incorrect, but lordy its pretty. what im getting at,is unless its 1 of those concours cars, maybe you will like it fine. just maybe!!!! later

·
Registered
657 Posts
If your car is painted with a modern two stage paint you can't get the flat effect. You have to paint on top of the clear coat with a single stage that has had the flattener added. Mine is done in a bright shiny bc/cc and I really like it. Like the man said, unless it is a show car, the look is much better.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are a reputable shop and good guys. I'll work with them on it. I'll need to sort out the money issue once I figure out whether I want to try the reproduction PPG 9381 or other paint alternatives discussed in the forum.

One of the reasons I took my car to this shop was they are a Mustang restoration shop. I would have expected them to know about concourse correct paint but they sub-contract painting so I don't know what got communicated.

While gloss black may look good also, I've had the car for almost 20 years with the original stripes. (I thought they were decals because of the texture). Granted, my car's not concourse but looking across the hood at shiny black where it used to be flat black will drive me crazy.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i can understand that. i guess looking across my hood, seeing flat paint where it used to be shiny, would sure be different. if you are gonna fix it, now is sure the time. good luck, seems they SHOULD work with you, somehow. later

·
Registered
391 Posts
Alvin - whatever you do don't stop short of getting what you want. You will have to live with it for a long time.

Personally, I cannot imagine living a glossy hood stripe.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts