Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pulling the pumpkin on my 70 Mach1 to have it rebuilt. The passenger side rear axle came right out. The driver side seems to be siezed up. I can't get it to budge. I've used a chain and pipe etc and tried to pop it loose to no avail. I can't see buying an axle puller will provide any additional force to get it out. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must have been brain dead not to think of it. I just called O'Reilly (close to me) and they have one I can borrow for a small deposit.
Thanks.
Ken

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
What I have done in the past is take the nuts holding the pumpkin in off. Pry the pumpkin loose from the housing. Let the grease drain into a pan. Then wiggle the pumpkin around as much as you can. It is usually enough to break the axle loose and let it slide right out.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I borrowed a wheel puller from O'Reilly and pulled it off in about 3 try's. Thanks for the help. It took longer to get the puller than pull the axle. Funny, how when you're fighting something you don't always think of the obvious.
Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts