Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just pulled the trigger on a set of custom offset 17" rims from Vintage Wheels in San Diego for my Calypso Coral 1970 Mach 1. Hopefully they fit as planned

17x8 and 245/45/17 Nitto's
17x9 and 275/40/17 Nitto's

since this picture, I have (and in progress) updated all of the suspension and some steering components with Opentracker Racing stuff. Looking forward to more responsive steering and handling. Sigh......it all started with a bit of play in my tilt column (rebuilt now), and has morphed into all new suspension, wheels, brakes and maybe Ford Racing crate engine at Christmas........talk about scope creep!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, the wheels I ordered from CJ Pony (what a clusterf**k) will be listed in the for sale section soon 17x7 and 17x8 Legendary Wheels with charcoal colored spokes. Brand new in boxes and never used.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Please post pics of your wheels installed and what backspacing did you go with.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I know is that they are using an extra 1/4" to allow the 245/45/17's to clear my front fender. I don't know the exact offsets though. I explained what I have on the car, and they guaranteed that there wouldn't be any rubbing even with a 1.5" lower stance. The lead time is four weeks to build, although thats fine since I won't be driving the car until spring.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
So, just pulled the trigger on a set of custom offset 17" rims from Vintage Wheels in San Diego for my Calypso Coral 1970 Mach 1. Hopefully they fit as planned

17x8 and 245/45/17 Nitto's
17x9 and 275/40/17 Nitto's

View attachment 773512

View attachment 773513

since this picture, I have (and in progress) updated all of the suspension and some steering components with Opentracker Racing stuff. Looking forward to more responsive steering and handling. Sigh......it all started with a bit of play in my tilt column (rebuilt now), and has morphed into all new suspension, wheels, brakes and maybe Ford Racing crate engine at Christmas........talk about scope creep!
That's a really nice looking machine. I bet it will be killer with the new wheels.
What's the story with the Minilite knockoffs for CJP? We love a "good" story.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Interested also as my 70 is Calypso over red and on 500's too. So what went sideways on the Legendary wheels?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The order from CJPP seemed doomed from the start! This last one was the third time I tried to order the "wheel and tire" package.

Order #1 - Seemed like a great idea, rims and tires already mounted and balanced. Perfect for someone like me, as they take all of the fitting guess work out of the equation. so I ordered the package with 245/45/17 and 255/45/17 along with $3k worth of other stuff, most of which was showing as in stock. I did know that the Pro Flo 4 I ordered was direct from the manufacturer so would be awhile. Received the confirmation which showed over half of the items were "backordered" so I waited 2 weeks, and nothing. no updates and no changes. started chat with customer service and was told that the some of the in stock items were in PA and not NV so the shipping would be much higher, but no offer to even try to get it to me. then was told that the 245/45/17 tires had no ETA.......again no offer to do anything. so, I started cancelling the various items in my order and half way through that process I was so mad that I just cancelled everything. The moment I said cancel the entire order, I got a reply back of "fine" and the customer service person disconnected.

order # 2 - A week or two later, I calmed down and was searching the wheel and tire package section and noticed that all had the green checkmark of in stock, so I tried again but this time the 255/45/17 were not in stock when I received my confirmation. So back to customer service to cancel the order. She seemed nice, and once I cancelled she directed me to a salesperson to help me out.

Order #3 - Spent an hour on the phone with the salesperson who was trying to be quite helpful. Still no 255/45/17 in stock in any tire, so I asked what was in stock and was told that they had 275/40/17 in stock for the rears. He confirmed that they would fit on the car and rims and all was good, so I proceeded to order. Confirmation comes through and it had the wrong tire size listed and backordered again, so I called salesperson back. He thanked me for catching his mistake and fixes it and I received proper confirmation. I watch the tracking and three days later they are almost here!!! I think all is good right? Fed Ex shows up just like they are supposed to and I receive...... 4 rims, and nothing else.

I go back to the computer and check tracking and the other three (new to me) parcels in the order are returned to shipper at shippers request. I call said salesman again, and hes very apologetic and offers to resend the tires and installation kit and give me store credit for the install, but he cannot send me a prepaid Fed Ex slip to return the items because I am in Canada. So, I choose to have them send the tires and installation kit and I would just get them mounted. Receive tires and installation kit and make an appointment to get installed only to be told that the tire sizes are too wide for both rim sizes and due to safety concerns couldn't be installed. To add salt to the wound, I realize that CJPP overcharged me another $50 during the travel of the tires back and forth....something about the addition of the installation kit. By this time I am totally checked out of this process and so pissed about the money and time I wasted for the convenience of getting a tire and wheel package.........

This was about a week ago, and then I saw the rims at Vintage Wheels which have custom backspacing and will fit the tires I have (btw the tires are more expensive in Canada than the LW80 rims) so I decide to go that route, and here we are. I will either call CJPP and have a complete meltdown.....like nuclear, or I may avoid that and sell the LW80 rims privately and take the loss. I know I should be all over CJPP but the stress of their combined indifference and incompetency is just draining me so am still thinking about it.

That should be most of it.....

and LOL.....the package that was supposed to have door shims from NPD just showed up via UPS already opened and door shims gone. FML, now I have another NPD catalog which I apparently paid $44.18 USD for .......Did I mention FML yet?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Ugly story, sorry to hear it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, that really sucks!! But is also a very familiar story. I had the same issue trying to order a tire/wheel package. Tried to order from CJ and had the exact issues with ordering/shipping/backordering. I also had the same convo with a sales rep and also received the same curt response of "Fine!!" when i cancelled my 6 week backordered tire/wheel package. Then tried to order the 17" Vintage V45 from Coker and had the same troubles. Wheels were available but no tires available for the foreseeable future...grrrrr. Then did the exact same thing as you, saw on CJ's website that all the pieces were green check marked as available and called to order them. The sales person was less than helpful and had no idea what, where or when the wheels and tires could ship. Unfortunately CJ it seems is using a call center for ordering and they seem to have little knowledge of the products. Coker sales guy i dealt with was at least more knowledgeable of his product and was upfront with me on the tire availability...curse you Covid!!! Nice looking ride good luck with build and enjoy it!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Agreed, that's a lot of headache for what seemed simple on the surface. Hope it turns out really to your liking after all the effort. Still hope to see a photo once mounted on car. Heater out on truck so I'm still daily my Calypso 70 until its fixed or roads get salt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts