Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I dropped the hubs off at the machine shop. Everytime I go there I wind up getting a little ticked. I guess I expect people to do something for nothing, maybe. The guy looks at the stuff and the chrome wheel and says,"you want me to remove the hubs", what, I didn't know you need the hubs off the spindles? He says, "I'll have to charge you $10....per wheel"! I am like, What??? It only takes about 3 or 4 minutes to pull the dust cap off and pull the cotter key and unscrew the nut and pull the hub off flip it over and pull the back seal and wheel bearing! Dirty looks abound!!!
So I take them back out and pull the stuff off in the back of my truck, remembering how much time I spent cleaning all this up. I take the hubs back in and leave them and depart. I bet he's gonna jack me now! :( I can't wait to get the bill. He always finds a way to make it more than he says! But, oh well...bend over :: I guess I am a little peaved that I could have just left the spindles on the car and pulled the hubs, I guess I'll learn one of these days :p
I'm beginning to think this whole job is one big Doofus! :: One thing about this guy, he does good work and this is the cleanest shop I have ever been in.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I work in a machine shop, our going rate is $75.00/hour.
It might not seem like much to dis-assemble them but, that`s not his profession. For one thing if he screwed them up taking them apart, how would you feel then?
I know if I didn`t know cars, I probably wouldn`t want to either. (machinists DON`T like to get dirty :eek:)
I used to take my dirt bike in to have work done and the guy would SCALD me if the thing wasn`t cleaned really well first. ::

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hubs need to be shaved, the granada hubs are a little bigger diameter than the mustang wheels.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a really good point, midpack. I wasn't really ranting at the shop, more at myself for not having the hubs off the spindles already...just my frustration kicking in. I guess I could have "swiped" the granada wheels and tires when I got the spindles, but I don't want no ugly stuff on my stang :D I want these puurrrtttyy chrome rims to fit! Boy, I almost had swmbo ready to swipe the plastic for some new tires to fit the rims :: Well, I'll try again when I get the hubs back. Maybe I can get swmbo in another romantic mood and show her how purty the chrome rims will look with new tires...etc... whew, alot of work these swmbo's are just to get something "new" lol... ::

1 - 5 of 5 Posts