Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good machine shop in the No VA area? Also any idea what I can expect to pay to have a block dipped and new cam bearings installed? Thanks in advance

Rob

G

·
0 Posts
I know of one machine shop that i have heard does great work..I cant remember the Name of the shop off the top of my head, but they advertise in THE VALLEY TRADER, u can buy it at 7-11 for $1.25, has a bunch of local classifieds..I also live in Manassas, VA, in the wellington Area.. :)
P.S. if i find the name i will reply back too u...Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Just found an old valley trader i had lying around, the name of the shop is DON BEARDS machine shop, they are located in Berryville, VA, here is the number: 540-955-0473. Hope this helps you out..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim,

Just called C & C and theyre prices are pretty reasonable. $100.00 to tank dip the block, replace the freeze plugs (plugs included in price) and install cam bearings (I provide bearings, $135.00 if they provide bearings). Do you know how theyre reputation is for work. They are just up the street from me, and I have been in there a few times, but do not know anything about the quality of their machine work.

·
Registered
764 Posts
They have a very good reputation. A friend of mine trusted them so much, that he had them build his 427 side-oiler for his '68 Cougar GT-E. This is a rare and expensive block and they even had to sleeve one of the cylinders. They did a terrific job and he was very satisifed with the work. The car has been running trouble free for several years now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done deal,

They are close, the price is good and they do good work. Sounds like a no brainer to me. Thanks for the input. Hey maybe I will get this thing on the road by spring after all ::

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do Jim. I am off all next week so I am going to take it then. Maybe I will have time to do some work on my mustang while I am off. SWMBO is having surgery on Tues so I dont know if there will be any time avail.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing too serious, just exploratory. Thanks for the good thoughts. We really appreciate it. This is one of the things that I like most about VMF beside the great information and advice. The members seem to genuinely care about each other :)

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Has Kunkels made it that far south yet?
The machine shop in NO MD associated with the regional Kunkels auto parts stores is EXCELLENT and I would recommend then to anyone.

Even my cam guy, you talked to the head guy there, told me to never go anywhere else.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have not heard on Kunkels. Will check and see if they are in the area anywhere. Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No Kunkels in Virginia. Looks like the closest one to me is in Baltimore. Seems a little far to go. Looks like C&C is it. Thanks to all for the advice

1 - 15 of 15 Posts