Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im getting my block ready to take to the machine shop, so this is like a 2 part question: My Dizzy is stuck, but im afraid to put wd40 or something around it? What else can i do. 2)For those of you who've done the whole machine shop thing, what are some good questions and whats the basic stuff that I should know so not to look like an idiot at the machine shop? Thanks
-Ryan

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
When you say its stuck, do you mean it won' t lift out of the block but still twists like you're advancing/retarding the timing or is the thing totally frozen? I assume you've removed the hold-down bolt/bracket. There is a rubber o-ring on the unit down the shaft an inch or so, IIRC, unk if this has dried in place if car has not been used for some time.

Since you are taking the engine to a shop anyway, I'd squirt some PB blaster onto the area where the unit meets the block, let it sit a bit. Twist it then try lifiting up on the unit while using a socket to turn the crank left and right a bit. If the oil pump drive shaft is totally wedged into the dist drive shaft preventing its removal, oil pump would have to be removed. It's ok to remove engine with the dist in car, just take off the wires so they do not get in the way.

Forgot to add, if unit come up approx 1/2" or so, it's hung up on the oil pump drive shaft safety washer, which prevents drive shaft from lifting out of pump and falling into the pan if dist removed. Try a bit more lifting pressure. Again, if drive shaft is frozen into dist, you'l have to remove oil pump, its easy when engine is out.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Concerning machine shop, you should know the following: (there is much more however)

boring--enlarging the cylinder's, normally .030 oversize initially, to make them "true" again to remove wear.

underground crank aka "turning" crankshaft --reducing the main journals and/or rod journals size, initially by.010 to remove wear and make them true again.

If you engine has a decent amount of miles, shop will recommend this after checking bore and journal specs and finding them out of spec.
Need to definitely know if these have been done to your engine when it leaves because you'll need to buy new "oversize" pistons and "undersize" main/rod bearings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts