Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up some heads I was having machined.

They were done by a VERY reputable shop that has been building performance engines for 50 years and the same guy still selects cams etc...

What I payed- $500
What I got for my money
-Dissasemble clean and check for problems
-Surface heads
-3 angle competition valve job
-order and install all new stainless steel cobra valves
-check spring pressures and replace any components needed
-new seals, guides, plugs.
-reassmble and CC chambers to figure how much they have been milled by previoud owner.

I payed 300 for the heads and NEW 1.7 alum. roller tip rockers that retail for $215. The heads have the bowls blended and mild port work and polish.

All together I payed 800 for GT40 irons, milled for 10:1 compression, ported polished, all new valves and components surfaced and .550 lift double valve springs...
Is this within reason for top quality parts and work? He thinks I should easily make 325+ engine HP with my bolt ons and cam we selected...(218 228 duration at .050 and 501 lift)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was quoted about the same price to rework my D0OE heads. I'm having them cleaned, checked and hardened exhaust seats installed now. Then I'll port them and take them back to have bigger valve seats cut, valve job, and guides (if needed). They're going into an F250, so I got a Comp Cams K-kit with cam, lifters, springs, retainers, locks, etc. and I'll assemble them myself...

Where did you have them done?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Sounds reasonable . I had valve job , 2 new valves and guides , pc seals and machining for , machined for guide plates , and install with correct seat pressure and height and paid over $700 . I about choked , forgot to get the price first . Not cheap but the machinist is a perfectionist and I know it was done right . He had me buy all new valve components to match the new Comp Cam .

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright good i felt the same when I payed the bill. It was 100 over the original quote because as they pulled them apart they found little things that needed to be done to them.
c6 fast sounds like your stang must fly with the setup you have. Im going with a milder cam olnly because i cant afford a converter right now for mine. I like your gearing,stall, cam setup though its close to what I will end up with.

Baron, I had it done at Wayne Calvert Precision Engines in Denton Texas, just north of Dallas. I go to UNT to its close to me and he has been building/racing since the first NHRA drags ever.

www.waynecalvertengines.com

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Alright good i felt the same when I payed the bill.
I managed to save a few $$ by paying cash with a hand written receipt as he works out of his house
and is an occasional customer of mine . Can't wait to take my car to the dyno and see what it actually
puts out . Thinking maybe 325-350 hp at the motor . Whatever the output it is fun to drive .

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
SO what is this cash discount I keep hearing about, I can only think of it being some kind of tax evasion?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
TheShagg said:
SO what is this cash discount I keep hearing about, I can only think of it being some kind of tax evasion?
Yes, when a person is paid in cash he sometimes "forgets" to report it to the IRS. Think Al Capone as an extreme example.

You reused the old springs?

·
Registered
530 Posts
BUT, have you checked that the machine work is done accurately?

Sad to have to say this, but there is a lot of poor work being done. My brother, a Mercedes mechanic, is having troubles getting local shops to do head work right. It is so bad he recently bought his own mill to do it himself.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Get some new springs and make sure they are compatible with the cam/rocker combo you select. Remember, it's a package you are designing, not just a collection of parts.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well actually the guy before me just put new comp double springs and I had them checked with my app. and they decided to replace the innder springs and make sure they are plenty strong for my application and every single component on the heads was replaced with new best quality. Wayne has been building for 50 years. People are running 1000 HP engines from him reliably for years on the track. I have ALOT of faith that this work is top notch.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
68RCodeConv said:
TheShagg said:
Yes, when a person is paid in cash he sometimes "forgets" to report it to the IRS. Think Al Capone as an extreme example.

So... uh.... why aren't people pissed that people are stealing our tax money?

·
Registered
222 Posts
TheShagg said:
So... uh.... why aren't people pissed that people are stealing our tax money?
I always wondered why people aren't pissed about surrendering - under penalty of prison or worse - four to five months' wages a year to their benevolent local, state, and federal governments...

·
Registered
638 Posts
The Government will efficiently put that $$ to work. We all know there isn't any waste.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We just need to get the fair tax amendment passed and eliminate the IRS.That way we would get all of our earnings and we could decide just how much tax we wanted to pay.
Larry

·
Registered
525 Posts
65bamapony said:
We just need to get the fair tax amendment passed and eliminate the IRS.That way we would get all of our earnings and we could decide just how much tax we wanted to pay.
Larry
Somehow, I don't think that'll be the way it works

·
Registered
36 Posts
You would only pay taxes on new items you buy not on used.So yes you would have much more say in how much taxes you would have to pay.
Larry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts