Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m curious if anyone here has used this dual exhaust kit and how you like it?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/magnaflow-dual-exhaust-with-x-pipe-kit-2-1-2-stainless-steel-v8-1965-1966/p/CBG1/

I’m thinking of installing it on a 64.5 vert, so I know it will have to be modified somewhat to work with the floor structure, but I am particularly curious about the tail pipes and if they are long enough and could be modified/bent to go through the rear valence instead of running underneath it with turn downs.

Extra credit for pics of your install!

Tnx!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't have the 15815 but I have the 15816 for a '69. Took some time to get it lined up but the fit is very good to excellent. The tailpipes lined up perfectly with the cutouts on the rear valence. Not sure this helps you. Maybe the magnaflow folks can provide some input.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have that same setup on my 67, fit perfectly. FYI, bought it years ago from performancepeddler for a lot less than everyone else.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have that same setup on my 67, fit perfectly. FYI, bought it years ago from performancepeddler for a lot less than everyone else.
Thanks for the info on performancepeddler. I checked them out and they were a lot less than anybody else. I placed the order last weekend and the box arrived yesterday!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks for the info on performancepeddler. I checked them out and they were a lot less than anybody else. I placed the order last weekend and the box arrived yesterday!

Thats great they still selling, i probably bought mine 10yrs from them and still running good.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I purchased that kit about a year ago for $535.00 shipped to my door (shop around). I installed it myself and I needed to modify the front tubes to match up with my JBA full length headers. Other than that it fit very well. The hangers fit up to my GT tailpipe hanger brackets no problem. That kit is not supposed to work with the GT valance but it looks like it will fit with a minor tweak of the tail pipe extensions provided in the kit. I think you will have more issues around the x pipe crossover area since you have a convertible. The tail pipe extensions need a short 2 to 2.5 inch offset S bend in them to put the tailpipes in the center of the GT holes. I plan to take it to a local shop and have them bend the pipes and fit the tips once its on the road. I think it sounds pretty healthy even on my mystery motor that came with the car. Grrr... I give up on posting picture here.

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pics. Would love to hear a video clip if you can get it uploaded.
I agree, the floor structure of the convertible is going to pose the issues. I may wind up bringing it to an exhaust shop and let them bend everything to fit.

Did you run into any interference with the d/s pipe and the bracket by the cross-member that holds the parking brake cable? On mine, it looks like that bracket may need to be bent/relocated slightly to avoid hitting the pipe.

I purchased that kit about a year ago for $535.00 shipped to my door (shop around). I installed it myself and I needed to modify the front tubes to match up with my JBA full length headers. Other than that it fit very well. The hangers fit up to my GT tailpipe hanger brackets no problem. That kit is not supposed to work with the GT valance but it looks like it will fit with a minor tweak of the tail pipe extensions provided in the kit. I think you will have more issues around the x pipe crossover area since you have a convertible. The tail pipe extensions need a short 2 to 2.5 inch offset S bend in them to put the tailpipes in the center of the GT holes. I plan to take it to a local shop and have them bend the pipes and fit the tips once its on the road. I think it sounds pretty healthy even on my mystery motor that came with the car. Grrr... I give up on posting picture here.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes now that you mentioned it I did move the bracket with 2 screws that holds the e-bake cable about .5 inch. I also had to modify the trans cross member on the driver side to make room for the header.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did the same system with JBA long tube headers on my 66 conf. It was pretty tight, especially around the AOD trans. You will have to space the conv stiffening plate down to get clearance. I had to fabricate the short pipes to connect the x-pipe inputs to the LBA flanges but that was not too hard. Some bending of the parking brake level arm was needed as well. Be patient and you can get it to fit. Nice sound with my 363 but not as nice as my grandson's 2014 GT with the GT500 mufflers.

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the same system with JBA long tube headers on my 66 conf. It was pretty tight, especially around the AOD trans. You will have to space the conv stiffening plate down to get clearance. I had to fabricate the short pipes to connect the x-pipe inputs to the LBA flanges but that was not too hard. Some bending of the parking brake level arm was needed as well. Be patient and you can get it to fit. Nice sound with my 363 but not as nice as my grandson's 2014 GT with the GT500 mufflers.
Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I may win a procrastination award for this one. I just pulled the packing slip off my NIB Magnaflow System... 9/12/2006 ! I also have NIB Hedman Elite headers from the same time. My how time flies.

The AFR heads are sitting on the shortblock and the car should be assembled and running by Sunday. It will go back together with the current exhaust and then off to the shop for the Magnaflow install. As I recall the price I paid was about half what the current headers and exhaust cost. I suppose it's about a push vs investing the money in stocks. :)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Finally the car is alive again! It just needs some tuning and then on to the exhaust.

Question: Did you guys buy stainless collectors to connect to the headers? I know mild steel can be welded to stainless by a skilled welder, but I hate to do that. I can buy the stainless ball & socket collectors for my Hedmans for a mere $140.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Look at the header buddies at summit, they are a gasketless ball that fits to a standard 3" 3 bolt header flange. I don't think they come in stainless, but they have aluminized.
If you don't mind changing both halves then consider a male/female flange with a v-band clamp like a turbo flange. Search Amazon, they have them in 304 stainless or mild steel.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
^^^

Thanks, the issue I have is that Hedman Elite headers have a ball connector on them, so I need a socket connector for the exhaust system. The Hedman provided mild steel sockets, but the exhaust system is stainless and I am not thinking it is a good idea to weld the mild steel sockets to the stainless exhaust.

The headers are ceramic coated so they are not getting cut or modified.

Thanks.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^

Thanks, the issue I have is that Hedman Elite headers have a ball connector on them, so I need a socket connector for the exhaust system. The Hedman provided mild steel sockets, but the exhaust system is stainless and I am not thinking it is a good idea to weld the mild steel sockets to the stainless exhaust.

The headers are ceramic coated so they are not getting cut or modified.

Thanks.
I've got the same issue with my FPA headers. Haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I need to take my system to a shop to have it installed because the pipes off the headers have to be modified to fit the convertible floor pans, so I will see if they can make up a stainless socket connector.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My system is finally installed. It sounds awesome. Nice low rumble at idle and nice roar when opened up. No drone. Kudos to Magnaflow. I opted for the stainless socket connectors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts