Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 21 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with a gentleman who deals in vintage wheels, and he said that in 40 years of business he has never seen a 60’s vintage 15x7 Torque Thrust D in the 5x4.5” Ford pattern (in either Mag or Aluminum). He said, he knows they did supposedly make them, but he just has never actually seen one. I showed him a picture of the wheels on Sean Kiernan’s “Bullitt”, and he said that it must have been slotted to fit, and when I zoomed in on the relief around the lug’s washer, he said that that is one of the rarest wheels ever made...

Is that true? Are they really that rare? I know I have yet to find even a single wheel, of course these past few months mark the first time I’ve ever really looked hard.

I’m close to pulling the trigger on a set of GM pattern 5x4.75” wheels, and they cost nearly what I imagined I would have to give for a “perfect” set of mag wheels (if I ever found them), and they’ll be more by the time I have them converted to 5x4.5”. I’m hesitating, less for the money, but more for the fact that I’d be stealing a set from the C2 guys.

Anybody care to share their thoughts? Anybody sitting on a set!?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve never seen a set. What are you putting them on that it is so important? Would a new set be so bad?
Honestly, nothing special, but I sure do like the look of the original ones. I have a new set now, and have put a lot of time and effort into getting them to look right, but, I’m just not sold

I used to have a set about 30 years ago. 15x7 and 15x8. Wish I still had them remakes are good for me.
I wish you did too. I’m make you an offer. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
What do you mean make them look right? Which part number did you buy. I have a original AL USA set that are probably 25-30 years old. I also have a set of new ones. They look identical to me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you mean make them look right? Which part number did you buy. I have a original AL USA set that are probably 25-30 years old. I also have a set of new ones. They look identical to me.
Do you want to sell them?

The part that kills me about the new wheels is how curved the spokes are; they made the whole spoke “D” shaped, curving out from the center and back in towards the rim. The original spokes are nearly flat in comparison, jogging back into the rim right at the edge in a “D” shaped relief (I assume that’s where they got the name). The wheel center on the original wheels sits nearly flush with the outer part of the rim (if you run the caps they stick out past the edge of the rim). I tried to remedy that part on mine by machining a hub-centric spacer to push the cap out. Then there’s the machined finish on the outer rim “lip”; on brand new wheels it’s just too modern looking for my tastes, but it fades quickly. I actually sanded all the machining lines out of my new wheels, which looks pretty good, but man, there’s just no getting past those curvy spokes.

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
No. I use them.

You’re buying the wrong part number my friend. No curve in these spokes.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. I use them.

Your buying the wrong part number my friend. No curve in these spokes.

I actually ordered up a set of the TTO’s and returned them. They are close, but they lack that little jog back into the outer rim that both the old and new “D”’s share. Honestly, it was kind of a toss up in my opinion. Neither wheel was quite “right”. Honestly, I know I’m being super picky, and either new wheel looks great on a vintage Mustang, but man, when you see a car with the original Torque Thrust D’s, they just look exactly right in my opinion. Sometimes it even takes me a second to realize what it is I’m seeing, but then it clicks. I love those original wheels!

So, Patrick, can you share with me the exact specs of your original wheels? Are they 15x7 with the “standard” 3.75” backspacing?Aluminun, not mag? Original 5x4.5” pattern, or modified from 5x4.75”? And they’re the “D” spoke and not the original straight spoke? I’m just trying to gauge how rare what I’m trying to find actually is.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quite right. Here's a better angle-

View attachment 740513
Yes, those are marketed as the “Torque Thrust Original” or “TTO”. I was big into the “traditional hot rodding” scene before getting back into Mustangs. That’s the original, original straight-spoked style wheel that everybody wanted to run on the back of their front-engine dragster. But the Torque Thrust “D” spokes curve inward at the outer end of the spoke...I guess they were more popular on Chevy’s, because the Corvette actually needed the additional clearance, where as the Mustang did not.

·
Registered
34,230 Posts
"Exactly as you describe. Not modified. Aluminum."
Um yeah, forgot about that. Street wheels would be aluminum. Not only is magnesium frightfully expensive and incredibly flammable, they also get brittle with age. A burning mag wheel would make an emergency flare look dim.

·
Registered
34,230 Posts
"Exactly as you describe. Not modified. Aluminum."
Um yeah, forgot about that. Street wheels would be aluminum. Not only is magnesium frightfully expensive and incredibly flammable, they also get brittle with age. A burning mag wheel would make an emergency flare look dim.

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
If there are differences in my USA made versus the new Chinese versions (other than the casting letters stating that) I’d be hard pressed to see them. I sure as hell wouldn’t pay more than what Summit is selling them for unless I was putting them on the real Bullitt car or a real ‘65 GT 350R.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Put another way, are you judging from the one picture in you original post? Just trying to understand why you are concentrating so hard on originals...

Allen
Ah, I see. No, I’ve looked at 100 photos if I’ve looked at 10, and seen the real wheels in person. And I’ve had the new wheels in both the TTD and TTO versions on my own car, both box stock, and with my subtle visual mods, and I just don’t like ‘em.

I get that there could be somebody with a car that’s actually important looking for a real set, and shame on me for taking them, but I’m on the level, and I’m willing to pay the price, so...

1 - 21 of 45 Posts