Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
I spoke with a gentleman who deals in vintage wheels, and he said that in 40 years of business he has never seen a 60’s vintage 15x7 Torque Thrust D in the 5x4.5” Ford pattern (in either Mag or Aluminum). He said, he knows they did supposedly make them, but he just has never actually seen one. I showed him a picture of the wheels on Sean Kiernan’s “Bullitt”, and he said that it must have been slotted to fit, and when I zoomed in on the relief around the lug’s washer, he said that that is one of the rarest wheels ever made...

Is that true? Are they really that rare? I know I have yet to find even a single wheel, of course these past few months mark the first time I’ve ever really looked hard.

I’m close to pulling the trigger on a set of GM pattern 5x4.75” wheels, and they cost nearly what I imagined I would have to give for a “perfect” set of mag wheels (if I ever found them), and they’ll be more by the time I have them converted to 5x4.5”. I’m hesitating, less for the money, but more for the fact that I’d be stealing a set from the C2 guys.

Anybody care to share their thoughts? Anybody sitting on a set!?

Who did you talk to ?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The wheels on the Bullitt you pictured are the "Trans Am spoke" not the D or original. As you have found , they were very available in aluminum for the 4-3/4 GM bolt pattern but only made in Magnesium for the Ford 4-1/2, "Most "of them were 15x8 or 15x9 and in Mag only. I too have not seen the wheel in aluminum and a 4-1/2 bolt pattern. The T/A spoke is flat but has the small turn as it blend into the rim portion. The current D spoke is very similar to the original R Model magnesium wheel with a more "rounded" spoke . This wheel was also sold in a pin drive version for 289 Cobras and was also mag. PS Engineering ( no longer in business) made reproduction T/A spoke wheels in one piece and two piece ( spun outers with welded centers) . I have 5 of those in 15x7 with 4-1/2 pattern. The Classic Racing Wheels pictured above look to be the same as those one piece versions made by PS Eng,

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The wheels on the Bullitt you pictured are the "Trans Am spoke" not the D or original. As you have found , they were very available in aluminum for the 4-3/4 GM bolt pattern but only made in Magnesium for the Ford 4-1/2, "Most "of them were 15x8 or 15x9 and in Mag only. I too have not seen the wheel in aluminum and a 4-1/2 bolt pattern. The T/A spoke is flat but has the small turn as it blend into the rim portion. The current D spoke is very similar to the original R Model magnesium wheel with a more "rounded" spoke . This wheel was also sold in a pin drive version for 289 Cobras and was also mag. PS Engineering ( no longer in business) made reproduction T/A spoke wheels in one piece and two piece ( spun outers with welded centers) . I have 5 of those in 15x7 with 4-1/2 pattern. The Classic Racing Wheels pictured above look to be the same as those one piece versions made by PS Eng,
Thanks for the info. Was “Trans Am Spoke” a colloquial term? I only ask because every one of the GM pattern flat “Trans Am Spoke” style wheels that I have seen has had “Aluminum Torque Thrust D” cast into the back side.

As for the PS-Engineering wheels; they’re not out of business, they were purchased by Wheel Vintiques, and Wheel Vintiques is making the wheels for people, but you have to know exactly what you want. I’m guessing yours are the two-piece, because supposedly the 1 piece were only available in the 15x8, 8.5, or 9. Also supposedly PS made the 15x8 one-piece wheels in a special backspacing that would just clear the A-arm and the fender on an unrolled 1965...but without knowing exactly what to order you’re at the mercy of Wheel Vintiques at $500per with no returns accepted. I sure would love to figure that out!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Thanks for the update on PS . Yes I mentioned that I have the 15x7 two piece wheels on my '67 Ranchero and I have two piece 15x4 and 15x8 on my GT350H. I bought them as they are lighter and whatever back space I wanted.
IIRC 4.500 back spacing was the number for the 1 piece 15x8s that would clear big brakes on any Mustang front . Many of the West Coast vintage T/A Mustangs have them .

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for the update on PS . Yes I mentioned that I have the 15x7 two piece wheels on my '67 Ranchero and I have two piece 15x4 and 15x8 on my GT350H. I bought them as they are lighter and whatever back space I wanted.
IIRC 4.500 back spacing was the number for the 1 piece 15x8s that would clear big brakes on any Mustang front . Many of the West Coast vintage T/A Mustangs have them .
Yeah, I actually called Wheel Vintiques again this morning, because when I last spoke with them they hadn’t really unpacked the whole PS Engineering purchase and they didn’t really know which way was up. I was pretty bummed to find out that they decided not to produce the one-piece T/A’s moving forward!?! I was shocked! I figured the Trans Am following alone might give them enough reason, but ai guess they figure they can push those guys into the two-piece design. I’m trying to put pressure on them, and even said I’d buy one of the first sets. Sheesh!

Do you have pictures of your cars on here? I’d love to stare at some pics of the two-piece wheels actually on something...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If anybody has any other ideas of where to look, I’m all ears. I’ve tried eBay, Craigslist, OfferUp, Facebook Marketplace, and several forums, including the Corvette forums. I was talking to a gentleman yesterday who said that it was an accepted fact that the wheels on Steve McQueen’s “Bullitt” cars were actually re-drilled from the Chevy pattern, so I suppose I may have to go that route.

I’d also be receptive to the collective knowledge bases’ ideas on what a fair price for a set of these would be. I have seen individual mags in the $500/ea range, and I figured that they were more rare than the aluminum wheels, but I wouldn’t balk at a set for $500/ea.

There is one complete set for sale out there currently, and they’re truly beautiful, but the seller wants $950/wheel, which I feel is just too high. Not to mention that I’d love to pay less for a rougher set and clean them up myself. I offered him a bit less and he wouldn’t budge, so who knows...maybe that’s the price. I mean, rusty fastbacks are $20,000, and people are asking $40,000 for Resto-mod coupes, so who even knows anymore...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Summit Racing is two blocks from where I work and the web site is so frustrating. They say the Torque Trust does not fit the 69 Mustang!? What back spacing should I get with an 8" rim?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Summit Racing is two blocks from where I work and the web site is so frustrating. They say the Torque Trust does not fit the 69 Mustang!? What back spacing should I get with an 8" rim?
I think it’s the 4.50” (or whatever is closest to that), but if you’re talking front, even 4.50”’s going to be close.
The 15x7 on the other hand, in 3.75” backspacing, will fit the front no problem.

·
Registered
588 Posts
When you take a Chevy bolt pattern and modify it ti a ford pattern just how does that look?
Anyone have one that can post a pic? Also just who does that?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
cjhudson87,
Check out the Feb 2011 issue of Modified Mustangs and Fast Fords for the cover shot and an in depth article on my GT350H. There are several nice shots of the wheels . The wheels on my Ranchero are the same except polished centers and they have push in center caps. I have 5 of them and "might" be talked into selling them if the price was right.
Randy

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
When you take a Chevy bolt pattern and modify it ti a ford pattern just how does that look?
Anyone have one that can post a pic? Also just who does that?
Well, the bolt pattern change would move each hole inward 1/8”. That very much. AKH Wheels in Washington told me they just elongate the holes, essentially making the wheel a “unilug”, which despite having kind of a bad wrap, are most likely still totally safe if you size the lugs correctly. They were willing to include that service in there near-$5,000 price tag for a set of wheels.

Another company I spoke with would actually weld up the existing holes, and then redrill the wheel for the new bolt-spacing. This is called a “fill & drill” and if you Google that, you will see some images. That seems a little more sano to me, so that’s the route I will probably go. If you follow this thread, I will post updates when I eventually find a set of wheels and have them changed over.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I have heard a few horror stories of the flammable magnesium wheels from the old days.

I've always been curious why most seem to favor the D spoke wheels. I think the A spoke Torque Thrust looks a million times better. If I ever switch to something other than my Magnum 500s I would go with them.

VN309 TT O - American Racing

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Randy,

I wanted to respond to your post after finding some more info that you may or may not find interesting/useful/correct. I saw a Hot Rod article about Don Waldron of Rod’s West (for a long while he was one of the largest holders of mag wheels in the country), and he said that the curved spoke Torq-Thrust as used on the GT350 Competition models was actually called the Torq-Thrust “R” at the time. Presumably it was the popularity of that wheel in the Mustang community that led American Racing to keep that design over the Corvette wheel as they dropped the magnesium wheels from their product line. Adding further to the obfuscation over the “D”, the mags never had any information cast into the back of the wheel, so, considering that the curved spoke wheel has been sold as a Torq-Thrust “D” for four decades now, that’s what people call that design, though it is actually a Torq-Thrust “R” and the Torq-Thrust “D” wheels were “effectively” discontinued. I found it interesting for sure.

Anyway, in other news, I’ve found two of the original Torq-Thrust “D” wheels for my Bullitt project, and am hot on the trail of two more as we speak. I’ll keep you posted.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts