Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm about the same age as Don and know him well. I'll see him this Sunday at the Pomona Swap meet. I never heard of the wheels referred to as R wheels by American Racing back in '65-66. None of the magnesium wheels had the logo on them for liability reasons. American was aware of the shortcomings of magnesium in a non racing environment. The D was for disc brakes . I don't know why there were three distinct spoke designs except for brake clearance reasons. As I said before , the wheel used on the Bullett ( in aluminum ) were mainly drilled for GM cars. I saw a pair ( GM) in magnesium last Sunday for sale in Long Beach.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'm about the same age as Don and know him well. I'll see him this Sunday at the Pomona Swap meet. I never heard of the wheels referred to as R wheels by American Racing back in '65-66. None of the magnesium wheels had the logo on them for liability reasons. American was aware of the shortcomings of magnesium in a non racing environment. The D was for disc brakes . I don't know why there were three distinct spoke designs except for brake clearance reasons. As I said before , the wheel used on the Bullett ( in aluminum ) were mainly drilled for GM cars. I saw a pair ( GM) in magnesium last Sunday for sale in Long Beach.
It’s certainly possible the Hot Rod article mis-quoted him in the story.

03 The American Racing Torque Thrust came out in 1962 in magnesium and then in aluminum in 1964. This is probably the most replicated and mislabeled wheel ever produced. Torque Thrust D wheels were designed for ’63–’67 Corvettes. The D stood for disc brakes; the wheel center was shaped to clear the early Vette brake caliper. According to Don, the wheel American Racing now calls a D is actually an R wheel, which stands for Road Racing. The R was designed for Shelby Mustangs.”

Curious to hear what you find.

·
Registered
34,230 Posts
03 The American Racing Torque Thrust came out in 1962 in magnesium and then in aluminum in 1964. This is probably the most replicated and mislabeled wheel ever produced. Torque Thrust D wheels were designed for ’63–’67 Corvettes. The D stood for disc brakes; the wheel center was shaped to clear the early Vette brake caliper.
Interesting, considering 1965 was the first year for disc brakes in the Corvette. They must have intended to offer the D wheel the moment the disc brake Corvette was introduced.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Woodchuck,
The one in your picture looks like the "reissue" which came out in the early '80s Before then the "rounded" spoke design was only available in magnesium ( R model wheel).
Randy

41 - 45 of 45 Posts