Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1965 with 351W that was rebuilt around 2005. I noticed that I have an EXTREMELY FINE shimmer of magnetic metal in my oil. I took a magnet to it and it sticks. It's very hard to see unless you look at it the right way, but it is there.

Can you provide a complete list of the various parts can put magnetic metal in my oil?

I know I have an issue with oil consumption that smokes upon startup and deceleration. I do NOT have smoke on acceleration. My plan is to replace valve seals but am starting to wonder if I have a valve guide issue as well. Is it possible the metal is valve guide? Is there any way to check valve guides without pulling the head? I was going to put compressed air into the cylinders to replace valve seals.

I don't have an oil pressure issue and the engine doesn't make noise. I have no reason to suspect a bearing issue.

I did a leak-down test (I love this tool) over the weekend on a cold engine and all cylinders came back 3-4% with the exception of #3 that was 7.5% going past the rings. Potentially I have an issue starting with this cylinder that is putting this very fine metal in my oil. I'm not concerned about 7.5% but I'm going to check it every 500 miles or so to see if it worsens.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
How many miles are on the engine since the rebuild?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bought it in 2017 the guy I bought it from was the owner after the owner that built it. So basically I'm the 3rd owner on the rebuild. Guy I bought it from said 5,000 miles 2005 thru 2017 (not entirely sure how accurate this is) and I've put about 3,000 on since 2017. So my best estimate is 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
OK, metal powder in the oil. The parts that come in contact with the oil have to be wearing on something. That means rings/cam/lifters/crankshaft/oil pump/valve stems. Valve guide wear would mostly end up in the cylinders. Try pulling a compression test. Depending on how many oil changes it's gone through, it could be the results of the new rings seating.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
True- I had shinies in my earl at the 1st change after fresh rebuild- scared the crap out of me. The second change was less than 1/2 that amount, the 3rd almost nil. Good pressure, no abnormal noises- choked it up to break in...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know. I think I'm well past break in and I didn't see this the first few oil changes I did. Guess I will just continue to monitor closely and get the valve seals replaced.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If it wasn't magnetic it would probably be bearing material. The metal could be from somebody not cleaning the block well after machining it. Could be a flat tappet camshaft going flat from not being broken in properly. Every engine rebuilder use to tell people to drain their oil after the first 500 mile break-in period and then every 3000 miles afterwards.

Not much you can do now except install a magnetic drain plug.

Magnetic drain plug.
FORD - 4.7L/289 - Oil Pan Drain Plugs - Summit Racing® Magnetic Drain Plugs

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
Magnetic particles in the crankcase are typically from camshaft/lifters but can also be from camshaft sprocket to thrust plate interference or oil pump to cover plate and distributor gear to camshaft gear. Typically rings aren't going to shed metal to the degree that you'll see it show up during an oil change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts