Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, is there any issue with placing a strong magnet(s) on the outside of the oil filter, in regards to affecting the internal bypass?

Having a cam replaced because a lobe went bad and want to catch anything that may be circulating in the oil.

Also going to place some strong earth magnets on the oil pan.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Don’t put them on the oil pan as you will never be able to clean the metal off but you can get a oil drain plug with a magnet..there’s a company that makes magnets that go on oil filters as I have them on my car and also on my truck...

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,399 Posts
Some people keep magnets on their filters all the time.

I've personally lost a lobe and a half on a 302 and if it circulated any bits through the oil system I couldn't see any sign of it in the bearings or anywhere but inside the filter.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
If I lost a lobe the whole engine would be taken apart. Hydraulic lifters are are a magnet for that crap and they can’t be cleaned. Stray bits of RTV sealant plugs up a lot of oil passage ways as well.
Do it once and do it properly.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
There are MANY different types of stainless steel, some are magnetic, some are not magnetic. I designed internals for distillation & fractionation towers for 21 years & used mainly the 300 & 400 series of SS... used copper only a few times :). Dean

·
Just some guy
20,399 Posts
Hmmm. Guy wiped a cam lobe and everyone's all off into discussing brass, stainless, and babbit in the oil like those are relevant.
We are the VMF, there's no thread we can't derail!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Other than the engine backfiring, or missing, what other signs implicate a cam lobe being wiped?

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Those might depend if it was intake or exhaust lobe, but I'm sure finding powdered metal in your oil would be a clue.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Hmmm. Guy wiped a cam lobe and everyone's all off into discussing brass, stainless, and babbit in the oil like those are relevant.
What good would magnets do for bearing failures?

·
Just some guy
20,399 Posts
What do bearing failures have to do with our original poster of this thread having wiped a cam lobe?
Though I guess the more metal particles you can get stuck to a magnet versus being embedded in the babbit is always good.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
569 Posts
If you can get magnets from a hard drive (HDD) they are way stronger than say a refrigerator magnet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took the words right out of my mouth!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts