Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to get ARP main bearing bolts for my 347 build but was advised to go with studs instead. My question would be why. I am not questioning the recommendation, just curious why it is a better option than just bolts. Also, what brand of studs do I need/can you recommend.
TIA for the education

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
As ARP fasteners go, the studs are 20000PSI stronger IIRC.....

Studs are bottomed by hand into their threaded bores, thus using maximum thread engagement.

IIRC, bolts also put torsional loads on the item theyre fastening (more so than a nut).

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Main reasons I've always used studs were to preserve the threads in the block and, in the case of main studs, to provide an easy mounting arrangement for a windage tray. The W in the race car actually has BBC main studs in it, along with a radically altered Boss 302 windage tray (one was not made for the W at the time I built it).

ARP and, in the past, Milodon, have be my vendors of choice for fasteners. Nary a problem at all.

Lastly, follow the fastener vendor's instructions for lube and torquing precisely, even if contradictory to other information you might have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts