Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:

We needed a bigger dining room. So using the very best in man logic I built a detached garage/barn :), so that I could refinish the attached garage to become a larger living room, so that we could refinish the living room to become a larger dining room, and as a bonus we could then refinish the dining room into a new home office, freeing up a guest room which has served as a home office since we moved into the house in 2001.

So here is the problem:

I need an additional guest room in 10 days....long before I am going to be finished the new living room. My options as I see them are:

Simple:
Mothball the office, pull the furniture out, store it all in the attached garage for now, plug the PC, modem, phone, and router into an outlet and throw it into a cleaned out closet. Install a bed in the room and call it done.

Pro: fast, efficient, might spur me to finish new room faster.
Con: The home office gets used an average of 4 hours per day, every day. ON days when I work from home I am in my chair in the office even longer (for more than 10 hours). It is literally the room most used in the house (far exceeding the kitchen which is normal most used room). I have many files that I would need to get to regularly and I would end up trucking down the stairs and out into the garage to find things all the time.

More complex:
Mothball the dining room. Pull the furniture out and store it in the basement. Would involve taking all the china out, moving furniture, than putting china back in. Then move office into the dining room and do full setup. Add a door to lock and keep closed temporarily where I would actually end up closing off a wall to make the office a dead end as opposed to the flow through room it is now. Office would be essentially done and guest bedroom would be done leaving only work in the new living room and future dining room over time.

Pro: would have little impact on my ability to work from home and manage the house in the same fashion I am accustomed too. The dining room has never been used as a dining room. Only 4 people can sit in the room with any level of comfort. The set fills the room and you can barely walk through the room with all the stuff in there.
Con: Moving the hand built by Mennonite carpenters cherry wood furniture to the basement and storing the Lenox China and glassware there adds a higher risk of incident than if it just sat in the old dining room until the new dining room was ready. I don't want to put it in the garage because then I would be tripping over it and risk even more damage when attempting to build the room's floor.

Mildly Complex:
Co-habitat office in dining room.

Pro: Would give me the quest room and let me have a semi-functional office space without the risks involved of moving and storing the china and cabinet. I could take dinning room table top off and store it safely under quest bed and find places for legs and chairs.

Cons: will drive the wife crazy, will make first room you see when walking into the house look like crap....and we are having a big party which is why we need more quest rooms ;)

Super Complex:
The block work I need done for the living room will be completed on Saturday (to complete the foundation where garage doors used to be). I could 'in theory' build the entire subfloor out there Sat/sun and have a place to safely move/store the dining room furniture at that point. Then I could setup the office in the old dining room and put together the guest room.

Pros: gives me a major jump start into the project
Cons: additional cost of the lumber that wasn't planned for this month. High risk involved that I might not complete prior to when everything needs to be done. Also will drive rework since the flooring will end up being pulled up again anyway for insulation and hvac

Anybody want to share their $.02 :(

For additional data:
Office and dining room are same physical dimensions of roughly 12x13

Current Dining Room:

Current Office:

Garage living room will be 18x24 when complete with a 6x12 laundry/mud room in the back and stairs into the finished basement.
Current Garage:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Rent or borrow an RV. We did this thru members of the church and were pleasantly surprised at the number of offers of nice units. Some people just need them to be used for a bit.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
dodgestang said:
Mildly Complex:
Co-habitat office in dining room.

Pro: Would give me the quest room and let me have a semi-functional office space without the risks involved of moving and storing the china and cabinet. I could take dinning room table top off and store it safely under quest bed and find places for legs and chairs.

Cons: will drive the wife crazy, will make first room you see when walking into the house look like crap....and we are having a big party which is why we need more quest rooms ;)
I am all for this one. Except i would probably move as much stuff into the basement as you feel you can do safely and easily. Add the door and keep it closed so no one can look in if it is still a mess. If you are really having a big party you may consider fitting the dining room chairs into the family room or kitchen or wherever extra seating may be desired.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
dodgestang said:
Background:

More complex:
Mothball the dining room. Pull the furniture out and store it in the basement. Would involve taking all the china out, moving furniture, than putting china back in. Then move office into the dining room and do full setup. Add a door to lock and keep closed temporarily where I would actually end up closing off a wall to make the office a dead end as opposed to the flow through room it is now. Office would be essentially done and guest bedroom would be done leaving only work in the new living room and future dining room over time.

Pro: would have little impact on my ability to work from home and manage the house in the same fashion I am accustomed too. The dining room has never been used as a dining room. Only 4 people can sit in the room with any level of comfort. The set fills the room and you can barely walk through the room with all the stuff in there.
Con: Moving the hand built by Mennonite carpenters cherry wood furniture to the basement and storing the Lenox China and glassware there adds a higher risk of incident than if it just sat in the old dining room until the new dining room was ready. I don't want to put it in the garage because then I would be tripping over it and risk even more damage when attempting to build the room's floor.

You can have this done by Saturday night and then spend Sunday cruising with us and then hanging at the show at the Moravian Tile Works in Doylestown!

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
mustang656man said:
you guys sleep on the couch and give guests your room?? air matttress somewhere for whoever??
This has my vote - doesn't cause you any extra angst other than having to spend 6-8 hrs on an air mattress. Wife and I occasionally have a slumber party in front of the woodstove during the really cold winter nights.

The RV is a really good idea too.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hemikiller said:
mustang656man said:
you guys sleep on the couch and give guests your room?? air matttress somewhere for whoever??
This has my vote - doesn't cause you any extra angst other than having to spend 6-8 hrs on an air mattress. Wife and I occasionally have a slumber party in front of the woodstove during the really cold winter nights.

The RV is a really good idea too.
Setting up, cooking, and cleaning up a party for 60+ people is very difficult. I will break my arse the weekend before so that I can sleep comfy in my bed when I am completely spent from hosting the party ;)

RV is an interesting thought...but I have no friends with RV and belong to no 'congregational' type things other than an occasional car club.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Check with local RV dealerships about rentals. I know at least one company in or around carlisle rents rvs for the carlisle events. I wouldn't be suprised if other places do so as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
MustangBillsInc said:
Check with local RV dealerships about rentals. I know at least one company in or around carlisle rents rvs for the carlisle events. I wouldn't be suprised if other places do so as well.
+1, or put a wanted ad on CL for an RVrental. Lots of people could use a few extra bucks and it would save you a little labor.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
You could always see about testing a used RV that is for sale. You have to try it to see if you like the idea.......Will be used at your house......oh well, not our thing, thanks.

Ask all your friends, people at work, never know who has a family member with one sitting idle. You might be surprised.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
dodgestang said:
RV is an interesting thought...but I have no friends with RV and belong to no 'congregational' type things other than an occasional car club.
We used to rent a 32 footer from this chain for our annual trip to the E-town for the NHRA Nats.

http://www.cruiseamerica.com/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts