Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about switching over to the Spal dual 11" electric fan set-up in my '69, but it looks like I'll have clearance issues with my power steering cooler. It's currently mounted in front of the PS pump on a bracket that extends out from the frame rail. It actually sits very close to the solid portion of my fan shroud, so it doesn't get a lot of fresh air movement, anyway. Can I just unhook the cooler, find another near-by place to install it, and run the hoses a little longer to it, or should I skip the groovy new fan and leave well enough alone?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,638 Posts
I'd just move it. Ford has located them in a variety of places over the years. Recently I noticed one attached to the subframe of a Lincoln. If it got any airflow, I don't see how. On my F150, the "cooler" is just a loop of tubing in front of the crossmember.
I'm sure you can come up with something at least as good. If you extend the lines with hoses, be sure to use suitable hose. If you use the more commonly available fuel line expect it to fail shortly. A hose designed for cool fuel doesn't handle hot oil very well. Ask how I know ::

1 - 2 of 2 Posts