Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after all these years, enough junk built up in the carb to really clog it up. So I wnet down to (a real) auto parts store, ordered a carb rebuild kit. Two days later, it arrives, now mind you, I (we) ordered not the small gasket only type kit, but a complete rebuild kit for the Holley carb. Guess what, the Holley kit just had gaskets & a power valve. we sent it back, called Holley, and a gent with a southern drowl says, Yeah, that's all we got here mister! So we ordered a kit from Borg Warner....what another piece of junk, garbage, etc. I've never seen such crap for gaskets that poorly fit, the wrong pump diaphram, power valve (Hg rating), etc. etc. After disassembling, dunking the carb in the tank of carb cleaner, drying, blowing out the orifices (which I could really relate to doing to the good ol holley boy down yonder, it ran better but still not right...I knew where the problem was but couldn't fix it because I just couldn't get the parts (I even checked about ordering a kit, piece by piece, by Holley said that would take a few weeks to put together). After building my own carbs, and modifying my new ones (including this one) since my dad taught me when I was 14 years old, I was livid....because I had to surrender. I wnet down to Culver City Carb shop (which has been around since the days of...well, dirt, and asked the owner about buying a carb kit. He laughed, and said "Do I look like I have carbs kits here?" He buys each part individually from the mfg's who sell to Holley, Carter, Edelbrock, etc. Basically, I came to the realization I must surrender my carb to this guy so I can get it rebuilt without costing two arms & a leg, versus buying the parts. He briefing tooked the carb apart when I explained the mods & jetting I had done 15 years prior...he smiled and said Hmmm, your a little on the young side to have learned this on your own (I'm 40+). We chuckled as I explained my dad use to be a salt flat & sprint car racer.....he agained laughed and stated, yeah....that figures, you don't see people doing mods like this anymore...they usually pay to have it done or buy an out-of-the-box ready carb that they think is really tuned for their application. We both laughed, and then I got ticked, because it was a very true statement, if the mfg's make it tough enough, you'll just want to buy new or pay to have someone do that, which you use to do yourself.....I guess the genration gap is approaching..or fallen on me ::

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Whenever I rebuilt my Holley, I got the regular rebuild kit or the Trick Kit. And there was everything in there that I needed to rebuild the carb, minus the correct power valve -- the kit comes with a 6.5, and I run either a 2.5 or I just plug it.

What else were you expecting to be in the kit?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I bought a Holley Trick Kit from Advance. It had everything I needed plus a bunch of stuff I didn't need. My car no longer smokes and takes me within an inch of my life while choking on exhaust fumes. :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
yeah there are at least 3 different types of holley 'rebuild' kits, i forget the names but they go from a basic gasket set to a full out rebuild kit including internal and external gaskets, power valves, springs, jets, pump cams, tuning guide, etc. the best one is called the trick kit and it's usually about $25-$35, good luck.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
BTW, the Holley rebuild guide I borrowed from a friend went into detail why you should only buy Holley kits. Assuming it's all true, stay far away from other kits. For example, the needle and seats are designed differently to the point that they are junk. Same goes for the power valves.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to remember about "Trick kits" next time....I was expecting to get (as requested twice) the big rebuild kit including the brass plugs for the fuel bleed system....but noooooo!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I may not be quite as fastidious as you concerning carburetors and kits, but the Barry Grant kits have all the gaskets, diaphragms, float level plugs, idle air screws, and bowl screw gaskets (which are much better than the Holley parts).

For much less than a Holley kit! ::

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
tried 2 rebuilds on my little 1100 and came to same conclusion. got one from PONY carbs and do not touch it. i was never a carb man but saw the futility.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts