Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 Mustang with the I6.

I installed the pertronix ignition this weekend. Tonight it went to . It has been running fine all week until now. We started it after going to dinner...started up fine...was running fine...and then it started misfiring really bad. Car was hard to get moving and was shaking very badly. Tried driving down the road...stopped at a gas station about 100 yards down the road (more light there). Opened up my distributor and found that the tape on the pertronix magnets had fallen off. and that three magnets were no longer in the rotor/points machanisim (sp?). Basically I was firing on 3 cylinders. Okay...so I found the magnets. Put them back in using some hose repair tape. Started up and was misfiring badly...about the same as before. Pulled my spark plugs as I expected some major fouling. Was correct, most of them were black and sutty. They weren't like that this weekend when I checked them after installing the ignition. I scrubbed the plugs with a brush. Started car back up...still misfiring badly.

Now I'm confused so I decided that I would try to make it home. So I limped home. One of the things I noticed was that the car was running extremely cold. In fact the needle hardly cleared the letter "C". It usually runs in the middle to high end of the gauge. I figured that means I was not running on all cylinders. I also burned about 4 gallons of gas in a 15 mile trip (between 1/4 and 1/3 of a tank). Once again...pointing to a lot of unused gas. I couldn't get the car to move any faster then 40 MPH...and that was after going down hill for a few minutes. I let it coast in neutral for a while and the engine stalled. Just figured I would provide as much information as I could.

My questions:

Is there something I'm missing?

Are the magnets in the ignition supposed to be in a certain way? (basically, are they polar?)

On the flip side...I have a new found respect for the older engines and especially that little I6.

Good Pony Car...

Thanks for any help...

Slade

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Without standing there and looking at the Pertronix ring I have to go by memory, but I'm quite sure that the ring has the magnets encapsolated in the plastic to keep them there and the tape does not phisicaly hold the magnets in place as the unit comes new.

Do you see any wear on the ring where it could have been rubbing on the module and wore the outside enough to let the magnets fall out?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Great diagnosis!

Could the "pertronix rotor" have rubbed on the pickup and worn away the plastic enough to let the magnets out. In my experience, more than tape holds them in place. The actual gap you set the device to is not that critical. Call them up and ask for a "free" replacement, they might suprise you!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ring is fine. No wear marks at all. When my Pertronix unit came in, the ring have green tape (or maybe plastic, but it really looked like tape. The directions didn't say anything about taking it off, so I didn't. When I opened up my distributor I found the green 'tape' curled up on one side of the distributor, 3 magnets stuck together sticking to one of the bolts in the bolts on the vaccuum advance. I felt lucky to find them all in one place. The magnets will stay in place without the tape, I used the hose tape because I didn't know if they would stay in place once the car was moving.

The magnets are in place now...but car still is misfiring. Is there something I should do after basically running the car on 3-4 cylinders? I need to re-clean the plugs. I know that much, but is there anything else?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went back out this morning with a clear head and without the worry of trying to make it home and re-examined the car. Took out the ring...doulble checked it. Seemed fine. After a lot of sweet talk the car finally started. Still misfiring.

One thing I forgoto to mention. When I start the car and give it some gas...I get a lot of blueish/white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Normally I do not get any smoke at all, now I get a lot.

Is there another problem and the ignition unit only one of several problems?

Any information would be great. I'm fairly new to these cars (new to actually owning one). Thanks...time to head to work in another car...too bad...it is such a nice day to put the top down...

Slade

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would start by checking for spark at each cylinder. Use an extra spark plug and plug it into each wire (one at a time) and ground it somewhere on the engine. You may still have a problem with the pertronix unit.

If you're getting spark at each plug, you probably have fouled plugs. Change them out and see if that fixes things.

If you don't get spark at each plug, then I'd put your old points and condensor back in (and seek an exchange from Pertronix). If you STILL have a problem, and I seriously doubt you will, post your findings and we will go from there.

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the green tape was kind of cheesy looking, especially when the rest of the unit looked so good.

When I get home from work I'm going to replace the spark plugs (which I wanted to do anyways...now I have an excuse to) and put the points back in and the old coil. I also have the flamethrower coil and I don't want to scorch the points.

My timing isn't going to be effected at all is it? I can't imagine that it would but I've seen stranger things before...just wondering.

Thanks.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I run a business which manufactures magnets and we are very familiar with electronic ignition systems. Being fairly new to vintage mustangs, I have not had much exposure to the petronix unit.
Polarity can be an issue. Also, depending on the type of magnets used, certain magnets when removed from their assembly can actually be demagnetized and this will affect the performance of the unit dramatically. Magnets are generally not used structurally and therefore are housed in an assembly. The magnets coming loose definately sounds like a defective unit or a damaged one.

If you feel like I can be of any help, let me know.

Scott

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scott,

Thanks for the info. I replaced my ignition back to the points and the car runs fine. I called Pertronix and there were nothing but helpful and within 5 minutes I had the replacement parts on the way. I love it when a business takes care of their customers...

Slade

·
Registered
933 Posts
Slade,

I'm glad it worked out for you. You will have to let me know how the replacement unit works as I'm looking to use one on my I6 convertible project.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts