Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a problem, and I dont know too much about cars, so I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out. What happened was, I had my car in park, but running, for about 15 min straight, and it was really hot today (pretty dumb, I know, but try to see past my stupidity) anyways, alll the sudden the car started whistling and i shut it off, cuz I guess it was overheating. Well, after letting it cool down now, whenever I start it, several things go wrong. FIRST. the whole car vibrates and jiggles and idles very rough, there is also that same whistling sound EVERY time the car is running, AND the power breaks dont seem to be working. I have power drum breaks and now it feels as if the "power" has been taken out of them. They are brand new, and all these symptoms only came when the car overheated. So, what could be wrong? thermostat? something? can anyone tell me what it may be, and most importnatly, TELL ME HOW TO FIX IT?!!!! Thanks a lot, this is my daily driver and I NEED it to run. thanks again

·
Registered
330 Posts
Are you sure that the large vacuum hose to the power brake booster has not come off or cracked?
It sounds like a major vacuum leak.
What kinda car is it?
Did the gauge or light indicate that it was overheated?

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
It sounds like you blew off a vacuum line. That can happen sometimes when you shut off a hot engine and it diesels of spits back. A vacuum leak causes rough idle and loss of boost to the power brakes.

Dave J

So many Mustangs, so little time!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Sounds like the vacuum hose failed, melted or came loose from the intake manifold or the power brake booster...or the booster itself failed...

Take a peek at that big canister looking thing mounted on the firewall with the brake master cylinder stuck on it....that's the doohickie with the little hydraulic lines coming out going to your brakes....

Anyway, look for a rubber hose on the canister and trace it to the intake manifold on the engine....anything look holey or fallen off? Like a hole in the hose or it's just hanging there? If hanging, reattach and try engine again...and brakes...fixed??

If not, try taking the hose off the intake manifold and plugging the nipple (you can wrap some electrical tape around the nipple after putting a piece over the end if you don't have a plug or cap)...does the noise go away and the engine run better?

Then, re-install the hose and carefully remove it from the canister (power brake booster)...usually the fitting is plastic so don't break it...if it's hopelessly tight, you can gently remove the plastic fitting from the grommet, again mindful that it's just plastic...*G*

Plug the hole and run engine again noting noise and performance...

That should tell you where the problem lies...

Next, tell us...*G*

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you very much for your help, but I am a little confused. I just went outside to the car, and me being the rookie that I am could not find the master break cylynder that would have the vaccume hose attached to it. Can someone please explain in laymans terms how I can locate it? thanks a lot

·
Registered
553 Posts
OK, I'll give this a shot. The master cylinder is usually rectangular, boxlike object. It will have one or two cylinders. In your case sounds like two. Open your hood, stand in front facing your car. It will probably be on the right (driver's side) near the back of the engine compartment. It will have a metal handle that clips over the top. That is where the brake fluid is. The hoses will come out near the bottom. Then follow Mr. CAMACHINIST's advice. He's one of the best.

Good luck!!

Pam

[color:red]Just another wrench-turner</font color=red>
[color:blue]1967 Coupe, v8 302 - Hers</font color=blue>
[color:purple]1990 Nissan Pathfinder - His</font color=purple><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by pamcorral on 03/20/01 10:48 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
No problem...just pop the hood and look at the firewall just to the right (as you're facing it) and above the engine....

It'll seem a bit farther to the right if you have a six cylinder engine instead of a 289....

It will look something like this.....

Once you've identified it, follow the directions in the other post...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
See the pic. See the big gold looking thing on the center, this is the master cylinder behind this you will find a large round deal. It will have a large rubber tube heading over the the engine. You master cylinder may not look like mine, just use it as a reference. Follow the directions provided once you have located the master cylinder.

1966 Mustang Coupe, 302 custom roller cam, holley 650dp,http://www.289mustang.com
http://www.289mustang.com/images/mastercylinder3.jpg<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Billgear on 03/21/01 03:07 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts