Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my car running (said before) and I did try the metal to metal header gaskets and they work like a champ!! BUT.... I've completely lost park!!! It was working before I pulled the torque converter out with an earlier problem, and now it's absolutely non-existant. All the other gears work fine. Any suggestions as to what may be the problem would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have a timing problem that I hope you all can help me with. I've got a 302 with a .484 lift cam, performer RPM intake, and windsor Jr. heads. I can't seem to get the timing right, and I'm at a loss for what to do. Thank you to all who can help!!!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
You might be way ahead of me here but have you adjusted the linkage? It's real easy to be a little out after pulling the trans and just not actualy be getting the trans clear engauged into park. Unless you're sure that the linkage is fine, pop the rod off the trans arm and push it clear into the park position. See what that will get you first. If it, in fact, works at that point, adjust the rod to just go back into the arm hole and you're on your way.

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

PS, that's my 'bird...... My Mustang is too ugly to take pictures of yet........*G*.

http://www.teleport.com/~cosa/bird2.jpg

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I agree with whisperer on the tranny linkage out of adjustment being the most likely cause of having no "park".

Why do think it's got a timing problem? What kind of ignition system do you have, and maybe even more importantly, what's the symptoms of your problem?

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's still running on stock point ignition. The problems I'm having begin with a lot of backfiring. It evens out at higher rpms, but at a stop she doesn't want to run. She's putting a lot of that backfire out the carb and the exhaust. I can also hear the engine missing several times. As far as the linkage on the tranny, there isn't much I can do. I had to go with a B&M shifter because my stock one broke. The cable doesn't adjust, and I've got the shifter arm as far forward as it'll go! Anyway, thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Sounds like the distributor might be installed a tooth or two out or maybe even 180 degrees out . Rotate your engine to 0 degrees and check that your Number One cylinder is on its firing stroke - at top dead center with both valves closed (check the exhaust valve at the rocker to make sure you are not on the exhaust stroke - two rotations of the crank for one rotation of the cam). If you are at number one TDC on the firing stroke, check where you dist. rotor is pointing. It should be at or close to the number 1 dist. cap terminal. If not dead on that terminal (probably will be a little off cause of setting the advance), loosen the dist. and see if you can rotate the housing to get the rotor lined up with the #1 cap terminal. Should be just a slight rotation to get there. If not, pull the distributor and re-install. Remember that as you install the dist., the shaft will rotate the equivalent of a tooth or two since the gear splines have a twist to them. After getting the rotor and cap lined up together at #1 position with the #1 cylinder at TDC with the carnk at 0 degrees, you should be able to set the timing (8 degrees BTDC to start?).

Another thing to check, I know this is kind of elementary, is to check that the spark plug wires are installed in the correct firing order. I had a friend sell his 68 firebird for $400 cause he thought the engine was totalled when in truth, he only had a few spark plug wires reversed. I waited about 8 years to tell him that. haha.

good luck.

sure it's fun, but it's only a car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts