1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My wife called to tell me she heard on WGN on her morning drive, but couldn't explain it very well. Thanks for the formal heads up!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Another reason to keep your system up-to-date. Yes, the main problem is Microsoft software that can be attacked. On the other hand did you know that many viruses are developed by reverse engineering the patches that Microsoft provides? Microsoft will find a problem, create and provide a patch for it. Many people never install the patch. The hackers get the patch and reverse engineer a virus from it then let it loose. Those who didn't install the patch can then get the virus.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Amen....

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Another reason to keep your system up-to-date. Yes, the main problem is Microsoft software that can be attacked. On the other hand did you know that many viruses are developed by reverse engineering the patches that Microsoft provides? Microsoft will find a problem, create and provide a patch for it. Many people never install the patch. The hackers get the patch and reverse engineer a virus from it then let it loose. Those who didn't install the patch can then get the virus.
Yes but it seems like MS should notify users of such patches. I updated less than a month ago and did not catch this patch. I definitely got the worm, very frustrating.

·
Registered
640 Posts
If you subscribe to Norton Antivirus it's in their definitons for protection dated yesterday. NORTON.COM has great info on the blaster virus too.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
BUY A MAC!!! :p

·
Registered
699 Posts
If you have the automatic updating enabled in XP, it will tell you. Control Panel->System-> Automatic Updates. I don't know the timing of when something becomes available versus when your system sees it.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I got that virus earlier and downloaded the software from Norton. Easy to do and it fixed it right up. It was the first time I ever had a virus infect my computer :(
I've only had Windows XP for a month but so far it seems better than earlier windows systems.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just an FYI. This just dosen't effect windows XP. If you are running Windows NT, 2000, XP or Windows Server 2003 you are able to get the virus. The name of the Virus is W32.Blaster.Worm (Norton) or AKA W32/Lovsan.worm (Mcafee). Both have updated virus definitions that will prevent or clean the virus. Also dont forget to install the patch that Microsoft has provided. Just thought Id share the info.

MM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts