Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two cars on the side of the highway, one jumping the other. Tell me the scenario where jump starting a car in this situation , makes sense. And, be prepared to back up your claim.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
IDK ,But we get cars in at work all the time,,,Collage kid "I need a battery here's my keys" OK Sssooooo how did you get it here ? "well I had to get a jump start" Oooo K Ssooooo you shut if off and locked it why?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jump start from home, or from a parking lot somewhere . . makes sense. But jump starting a car that was traveling down the highway makes no sense. It's a fools jump . if you know what I mean. I'm thinking deep here, you gotta think with me :) Think of the scenario that led up to this. I can actually think of a couple , but I don't believe it happens often.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Two cars on the side of the highway, one jumping the other. Tell me the scenario where jump starting a car in this situation , makes sense. And, be prepared to back up your claim.
I see your point..."on the side of the highway", really makes no sense...

Not sure why your thinking about it at midnight in EST (but I know why I'm responding at 11 CST)...:grin2:

Allen

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
They stopped to pee on the shoulder and mistakenly shut the car off forgetting the battery was weak?.

I know a guy who, with a couple buddies drove a VW rabbit from NY to california with an alternator that didn't work and they didnt even own a a battery charger to take with them. They solicited jump starts and borrowed battery chargers to complete the voyage. He says it was an adventure and tells a great story about the people they met along the way.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I was going along a similar line of thought as 4ocious except I figured it ran out of gas instead of a flat tire.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
It was probably an extremely respectful driver who received a phone call, so they actually pulled off the road to safety take the call. Not wanting to pollute the air, they shut the car off, but left the parking lights on to alert other drivers of their position- similar to what 4 said. After completing the call they realized the car wouldn't start, so solicited a passing motorist to give them a jump. Or- Otis left the bar and the breathalyzer shut him down 1/2 mile down the road. He staggered back to the bar and asked Barney Gumble to come give him a jump!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I know the reason....he was poor.
No one in their right mind would try to start their vehicle on the expressway if they had road hazard ins or money to pay for a tow.
Poor bas*ard probably has too many bills, too many kids, and a dead end job.
He drives an un-maintained piece of crap car and so he puts his best friends life in danger by asking him to help him get his piece of junk started because if he misses one more day of work....He's Fired!
On SA highways you can only be towed off of the highway by a towing service that has a city contract, no one else.
City contract=higher towing fee.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Runs out of gas. Calls friend to bring him some gas. Plays his 1000 watt sub woofers stereo while waiting for friend, also leaves his aircraft landing light headlights on while waiting over an hour. Buddy shows up with gas, car won't start battery now dead, hmm noticed the stereo quit and the landing lights went out! Buddy doesn't carry jumpers nor does dimwit so buddy goes back hoe and gets jumpers. This is what friends are for!

·
Administrator
19,322 Posts
Easy. Alternator quits for whatever reason then the car dies. After a good samaritan charges the battery via jumper cables for a while the driver starts it up and runs for the nearest exit to get the heck off the highway. Maybe even limp as far as a parts store or repair shop for a new alternator belt. Been there, done that, got the jumper cables.

·
Administrator
12,995 Posts
Easy. Alternator quits for whatever reason then the car dies. After a good samaritan charges the battery via jumper cables for a while the driver starts it up and runs for the nearest exit to get the heck off the highway. Maybe even limp as far as a parts store or repair shop for a new alternator belt. Been there, done that, got the jumper cables.
Couldn't have said it better. Happened to me on my first long trip (900 miles one way) to an MCA show.
Stan

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They stopped to pee on the shoulder and mistakenly shut the car off forgetting the battery was weak?.

I know a guy who, with a couple buddies drove a VW rabbit from NY to california with an alternator that didn't work and they didnt even own a a battery charger to take with them. They solicited jump starts and borrowed battery chargers to complete the voyage. He says it was an adventure and tells a great story about the people they met along the way.
You won't get enough of a charge during the jump to last you 5 minutes. When the reserve capacity of the battery is gone, it need s a good charge. If the charging system is dead, a quick jump isn't going to do it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Car gets flat tire.
Ignition turned off, but emergency flashers on (if not other drains on the system too).
Flat tire fixed.
Battery too low to start the mofo back up.
Poor Goober needs a jump.
Like I said there are a few scenarios, but I don't buy most of em' :) This could happen, but some of the cars being jumped, the situation at hand, just doesn't seem that way. I think it is an idiot who thinks jumping the battery will fix everything. I'm guessing 99% of the time, a tow truck gets called.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
After depletion of the reserve capacity, a jump will get you a couple minutes at best. These aren't "brainiacs" who know what's going on . . look for the tow truck, it's coming. OH . and if it's night time, you're going nowhere :)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Loose or corroded battery cable(s). Quick fix on the side of the road, get a jump, go on your way.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
You won't get enough of a charge during the jump to last you 5 minutes. When the reserve capacity of the battery is gone, it need s a good charge. If the charging system is dead, a quick jump isn't going to do it.
Maybe that's why you see it all the time. It's not multiple cars, it's the same one five minutes and two miles later.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Here is a real life one, alternator dies in wife's car on highway. Swap batteries, jump start my car with the good alternator - everybody gets home...

Basically, any situation where a bozo runs the battery dead trying to start a broken car, someone who knows cars fixes it, stuck float for instance. Jump start and on you're on your way.

I would bet however that 3/4 of those jump start scenarios as you say are futile...

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Ran out of gas once many years ago and left the car on the side of the road with the hazard lights flashing. Took way too long to get back to the car and when I did, the battery was too weak to start the car. Had to jump it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Loose or corroded battery cable(s). Quick fix on the side of the road, get a jump, go on your way.
Nope, battery doesn't even need to be connected for the engine to run with an operating charging system.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts