Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here is a real life one, alternator dies in wife's car on highway. Swap batteries, jump start my car with the good alternator - everybody gets home...

Basically, any situation where a bozo runs the battery dead trying to start a broken car, someone who knows cars fixes it, stuck float for instance. Jump start and on you're on your way.

I would bet however that 3/4 of those jump start scenarios as you say are futile...
Yep, you can figure out some real scenarios, I just don't give most that room in real life :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ran out of gas once many years ago and left the car on the side of the road with the hazard lights flashing. Took way too long to get back to the car and when I did, the battery was too weak to start the car. Had to jump it.
Yep . . but if your battery was in good shape, you left it there a while :)

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
The one that I see most often is that a battery shorts a couple or more cells internally and this is a dead short. Electronic ignitions including the MSD box in my hot rod do not like weak batteries so they just shut off. Even if you try and jump start the car it won't crank because the defective battery has a dead short inside it which the electronics reads as low voltage. I would guess a lot of people trying to jump start their modern cars don't understand this.

Back in the "old days" before all this electronics arrived inside the car, a car could be cranked on a weakened battery like this if it still had just enough juice to just turn over the engine. This doesn't work any more. Only fix is to get a good battery.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Nope, battery doesn't even need to be connected for the engine to run with an operating charging system.
Not true on a modern FI engine in some cases. If there is a heavy electrical load and the alternator can not keep up, the car may stall.

·
Administrator
19,342 Posts
After depletion of the reserve capacity, a jump will get you a couple minutes at best. These aren't "brainiacs" who know what's going on . . look for the tow truck, it's coming. OH . and if it's night time, you're going nowhere :)
Funny how you say it can't be done when I've done it. Multiple times. A revved up 3G alternator can juice up a dead battery for folks pretty darn well from my experience. I carry big fat welding lead grade jumper cables. I've gotten more than a few people off the side of the road. A couple of times it was me on the side of the road. I've driven a lot of low quality vehicles over the years.
I once limped a motorcycle home 20 miles that wasn't charging. The last ten miles it was so weak if I touched the brake lights the engine would sputter.
Another different motorcycle quit charging at night miles from home out in the boondocks. I puttered along in the dark with a pocket flashlight but turned on the running lights when a car came along.
A friend and I once hot-swapped batteries in running cars so the one not charging could keep going. Took three swaps to get home. How we didn't blow the charging system on the good car, I don't know but it worked.
To get a trail bike out of the woods we once rigged up a household extension cord and plugged the ailing bike into a second bike. Then both riders stayed side by side and rode back to the trailer. Ruined the extension cord for its original purpose but I kept it in my bike bag for years after. As I recall when we were rigging it up a bystander was there insisting that "That'll NEVER work."
Just because they don't teach this stuff in school doesn't mean it doesn't work out in the field.

My priority is to get folks the heck off the interstate if I can, using whatever tools are at hand. It's very dangerous on the side of the highway. If jumping them off will get their car a couple of miles to an exit I'll try it. Sometimes I drive a tow truck too but I'm only after highway patrol/county/city calls. Wrecks, DUI's, and such.

·
Administrator
19,342 Posts
I have a VW Rabbit. (Truck) If it's warm you can remove the battery completely and I can still start it and drive away. I will bypass the the fuel cutoff and push start it. Away I go. No brake lights or electrical system of any kind but it will go and stop. So I can see a diesel Rabbit going miles without an alternator. In daytime you'd only really need the battery for brake lights and to keep the fuel solenoid energized. (Hand signals for turns) :) Rather shorter distances between stops with a gas engine but I can totally see someone doing that. I was once young and did stuff like that too.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Poor folks have poor ways. Calling for a tow is impossible for someone that has no money to spare. You don't have to believe in the scenario to make it true. Like Gypsy said, real life experience proves your opinion wrong. Thankfully I've never been the guy getting the jump but I've sure been the guy doing the jumping. You'll be surprised at how far you can get on a 5-10 minute jump.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
Car runs out of gas. Inexperienced driver does not realize it is out of gas, and runs the battery down trying to start it, and the hazards finish it off before DAD (also known as SUPERMAN) shows up, diagnoses problem, puts in a gallon, and then jumps the car enough to get the gas to the injectors and the car starts, and then the alternator kicks in.

Ask me how I know about this in the last 2 months.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A long time ago I was driving around in the 66 and passed a slower car, as I got back in my lane the engine died and I pulled over to the side of the road. I didn't immediately see anything wrong so I tried to start it back several times and eventually ran the battery dead. It was then that I noticed the + coil wire had come loose. I put it back on but the battery was too weak to start it at that point. Started walking to a nearby friends house when a passerby stopped to help. We jumped the car and I was back on my way.
So there's one scenario, Maybe not likely but it happened to me.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Funny how you say it can't be done when I've done it. Multiple times. A revved up 3G alternator can juice up a dead battery for folks pretty darn well from my experience. I carry big fat welding lead grade jumper cables. I've gotten more than a few people off the side of the road. A couple of times it was me on the side of the road. I've driven a lot of low quality vehicles over the years.
I once limped a motorcycle home 20 miles that wasn't charging. The last ten miles it was so weak if I touched the brake lights the engine would sputter.
Another different motorcycle quit charging at night miles from home out in the boondocks. I puttered along in the dark with a pocket flashlight but turned on the running lights when a car came along.
A friend and I once hot-swapped batteries in running cars so the one not charging could keep going. Took three swaps to get home. How we didn't blow the charging system on the good car, I don't know but it worked.
To get a trail bike out of the woods we once rigged up a household extension cord and plugged the ailing bike into a second bike. Then both riders stayed side by side and rode back to the trailer. Ruined the extension cord for its original purpose but I kept it in my bike bag for years after. As I recall when we were rigging it up a bystander was there insisting that "That'll NEVER work."
Just because they don't teach this stuff in school doesn't mean it doesn't work out in the field.

My priority is to get folks the heck off the interstate if I can, using whatever tools are at hand. It's very dangerous on the side of the highway. If jumping them off will get their car a couple of miles to an exit I'll try it. Sometimes I drive a tow truck too but I'm only after highway patrol/county/city calls. Wrecks, DUI's, and such.
The reason I say you can't do it, is because I'm not talking about stretching the limits. I asked for opinions because 99% of the aholes out there jumping the car on the side of the road are going no where fast. I said I could think of ways it would work, but I'm talking about the average ahole I see on the side of the interstate getting their car jumped. Or the woman on the side of the road having someone jump her car because it wouldn't staRT, after it dies in the first place. If you just want to bend the rules and make it possible, sure I can bend some too. I guess the facts mean nothing when you have some welding wire, some bubble gum and a chewing gum wrapper. You want me to apologize for the Engineers that calculates such things are reserve capacity and came up with a standard for it? I mean what a waste of time. You should print a book so the world no longer needs to purchase what some would call essentials for liable transportation. I can't buy all this as a reason we see people on the side of the road jumping batteries. That was the initial question and you are the .001% of them, noot the norm. Now your little buddy who looks for any little thing he can be a"bully" ( his students words, not mine ) at, finds all this stuff funny. I find none of it that way, but hey we are all here together, unfortunately. Weasel I say, but then again, who am I?

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
The reason I say you can't do it, is because I'm not talking about stretching the limits. I asked for opinions because 99% of the aholes out there jumping the car on the side of the road are going no where fast. I said I could think of ways it would work, but I'm talking about the average ahole I see on the side of the interstate getting their car jumped. Or the woman on the side of the road having someone jump her car because it wouldn't staRT, after it dies in the first place. If you just want to bend the rules and make it possible, sure I can bend some too. I guess the facts mean nothing when you have some welding wire, some bubble gum and a chewing gum wrapper. You want me to apologize for the Engineers that calculates such things are reserve capacity and came up with a standard for it? I mean what a waste of time. You should print a book so the world no longer needs to purchase what some would call essentials for liable transportation. I can't buy all this as a reason we see people on the side of the road jumping batteries. That was the initial question and you are the .001% of them, noot the norm. Now your little buddy who looks for any little thing he can be a"bully" ( his students words, not mine ) at, finds all this stuff funny. I find none of it that way, but hey we are all here together, unfortunately. Weasel I say, but then again, who am I?
So you're telling me that you know the situation of every "ahole" you pass on the side of the road? You claim that it can't be done but I've done it and Gypsy claims to have as well. To assume you know that a situation could never arise where a person would need a jump start on the side of the road and they are somehow "aholes" for having a car issue makes you come across as an arrogant *** yourself. Who are you anyways, they ain't asking anything from you. Smdh.

·
Administrator
19,342 Posts
"The reason I say you can't do it, is because I'm not talking about stretching the limits. I asked for opinions because 99% of the aholes out there jumping the car on the side of the road are going no where fast. I said I could think of ways it would work, but I'm talking about the average ahole I see on the side of the interstate getting their car jumped. Or the woman on the side of the road having someone jump her car because it wouldn't staRT, after it dies in the first place. If you just want to bend the rules and make it possible, sure I can bend some too. I guess the facts mean nothing when you have some welding wire, some bubble gum and a chewing gum wrapper. You want me to apologize for the Engineers that calculates such things are reserve capacity and came up with a standard for it? I mean what a waste of time. You should print a book so the world no longer needs to purchase what some would call essentials for liable transportation. I can't buy all this as a reason we see people on the side of the road jumping batteries. That was the initial question and you are the .001% of them, noot the norm. Now your little buddy who looks for any little thing he can be a"bully" ( his students words, not mine ) at, finds all this stuff funny. I find none of it that way, but hey we are all here together, unfortunately. Weasel I say, but then again, who am I?"

I might reply to this but my reading comprehension seems a bit off today. I don't know about opinions but a few folks here have posted real life scenarios where needed to jump their cars off on the side of the highway that made sense to me. I seem to see you think people on the side of the road trying to get their cars going are "aholes". I think. The rest...sorry, I cannot make sense of it at this time.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So you're telling me that you know the situation of every "ahole" you pass on the side of the road? You claim that it can't be done but I've done it and Gypsy claims to have as well. To assume you know that a situation could never arise where a person would need a jump start on the side of the road and they are somehow "aholes" for having a car issue makes you come across as an arrogant *** yourself. Who are you anyways, they ain't asking anything from you. Smdh.

What I ,also, assume is that anyone here wanting to join the discussion can both read and comprehend. You're half way there.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
"The reason I say you can't do it, is because I'm not talking about stretching the limits. I asked for opinions because 99% of the aholes out there jumping the car on the side of the road are going no where fast. I said I could think of ways it would work, but I'm talking about the average ahole I see on the side of the interstate getting their car jumped. Or the woman on the side of the road having someone jump her car because it wouldn't staRT, after it dies in the first place. If you just want to bend the rules and make it possible, sure I can bend some too. I guess the facts mean nothing when you have some welding wire, some bubble gum and a chewing gum wrapper. You want me to apologize for the Engineers that calculates such things are reserve capacity and came up with a standard for it? I mean what a waste of time. You should print a book so the world no longer needs to purchase what some would call essentials for liable transportation. I can't buy all this as a reason we see people on the side of the road jumping batteries. That was the initial question and you are the .001% of them, noot the norm. Now your little buddy who looks for any little thing he can be a"bully" ( his students words, not mine ) at, finds all this stuff funny. I find none of it that way, but hey we are all here together, unfortunately. Weasel I say, but then again, who am I?"

I might reply to this but my reading comprehension seems a bit off today. I don't know about opinions but a few folks here have posted real life scenarios where needed to jump their cars off on the side of the highway that made sense to me. I seem to see you think people on the side of the road trying to get their cars going are "aholes". I think. The rest...sorry, I cannot make sense of it at this time.
Honesty is a virtue. What more can we ask?

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
What I ,also, assume is that anyone here wanting to join the discussion can both read and comprehend. You're half way there.
My comprehension has picked up your arrogance. Maybe next time you can pull over and lend a hand or explain to them that what they're doing can't possibly work.... Do so before even asking what the situation is.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Not true on a modern FI engine in some cases. If there is a heavy electrical load and the alternator can not keep up, the car may stall.

Modern vehicles are getting finickey. I left my wife with the keys to my 2015 Silverado while I ran into the parts store one day. Stupid line was long and ended up being in there for a good 20 minutes. When I came out, the truck was running. I asked why the truck was running (it was a nice 60* day out) and she said the DIC started flashing "low battery - Start Vehicle" and this was only after like 10 minutes. So I guess I can see where people got a flat, etc and need a jump if the flashers were on too long, or the kids were inside playing with the radio, etc.

This must be a midlands issue, or I just don't get on the interstate enough? :shrug:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I know whenever I ask an open question, expecting intelligent discussion, that I probably won't get it. But let me offer a suggestion. When you step in, try and read what has previously been posted. That way you can make intelligent comments taking in the entirety of what has been said, Novel . . .

21 - 40 of 71 Posts