Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
No son, for some reason you came to this thread to just cause a problem. That in itself, points to issues. You help to prove that point every time you post. If it doesn't interest you son, then stay away from the thread. But no, you come to cause problems. That says a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
No son, for some reason you came to this thread to just cause a problem. That in itself, points to issues. You help to prove that point every time you post. If it doesn't interest you son, then stay away from the thread. But no, you come to cause problems. That says a lot.
Maybe you nailed it, or maybe your upset that I'm right. We'll never know will we.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Y'all through bickering? OK. The assumption that these folks beside the road are "brainiacs" and "aholes" bothers me a bit. I can't say I've ever thought any such thing upon seeing someone attempting to get a dead car going. Kind of like calling a drowning man stupid for grasping at straws.

Anyway, look, look, look! I recalled a real life scenario that actually adds something to the thread's original purpose. AHEM. Taurus on the side of the road. Wife says "Look it's an old lady, we must stop." M'lady commands. I stop. Upon quizzing grandma she says she ran through that giant pothole and the car sputtered and quit. Hmmm. I ask if I might check the fuel pulp reset switch in the trunk. It seemed to have been triggered and I reset it. However, not knowing what else to do she's been cranking the car and running the hazard lights so the car won't start. Out come the jumper cables and we get stupid. Car starts, grandma goes home, and everybody's happy.
And I can think up other ways that one could have gone.

"Crank it and let me see if I can tell what's going on. No? Let me get my cables"

Fixable things that I have actually dealt with on the road side.
Bad fuel pump relay. (Swap with another in the fuse box)
Coil wire disconnected.
Exhaust heat riser stuck shut and choked the engine down. Slant six Duster. No clue how that happened while driving, it makes no sense to me. At any rate I smacked it with a lug wrench and we all went on.
Carburetor floats stuck. Started up and drove out onto the road then died. Lug wrench to the fuel bowl a few times got it. (Early S10 Blazer 2.8 IIRC)
Alternator belt disintegrated. Substituted a length of nylon stocking. It didn't work WELL, but well enough to limp onwards and get off the road. (That one was mine, a 1970 Torino)
Disconnected crank sensor. Rear wheel Chevy. Car ran over some branches in the road from a storm. Retainer clip was broken but it held long enough to get them going. And they knew what to do if it came loose again before they could get an effective repair.
And of course, blown fuses.
I have fixed those and more beside the road. For nothing more than a thank you. Any might easily have involved dead batteries that needed jumping off, I don't remember exactly.
I would think the "glass half full" guy would be more the one who stops to see if he might be of assistance rather than one casting aspersions upon their intelligence while saying they just need to call a tow truck and not even slowing down. Could be just me, but I don't think I'm an "ahole". Well, most of the time.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
She won't get on here. She attends the big swap meets with me though and she's happy to chat with about ANYBODY.
Yes that happened. She's normally quiet-spoken and it's easy to pretend I didn't hear her, already gone past, can't turn around here, tools are in the other car, etc. And sometimes I stop to see if I/we can help. Sometimes all I can do is confirm there is no practical roadside repair to be done, arrangements need to be made to get it moved.

As for the second part. Yeah, well, no. She'll contradict that one sure as the world.

And oh crap, useful addendum. Sometimes in-tank fuel pumps stick and you can bonk the tanks right about where the pump is and get it to pump again temporarily. That's usually a parking lot problem though, I guess. They don't stick off while driving.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
So you're telling me that you know the situation of every "ahole" you pass on the side of the road? You claim that it can't be done but I've done it and Gypsy claims to have as well. To assume you know that a situation could never arise where a person would need a jump start on the side of the road and they are somehow "aholes" for having a car issue makes you come across as an arrogant *** yourself. Who are you anyways, they ain't asking anything from you. Smdh.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
He's a legend in his own mind. It's more fun to just laugh at him.
You know you probably won't get intelligent discussion? Do enlighten us as to why exactly you think that?
Seems like real life is too intelligent for him......
Because I'm a glass half full guy. I guess I expect too much. The more you know, the more you don't know. But some can't play the game. At least you commented on the subject of the post at hand, rather than to offer nothing except ridicule. That seems to be what some want to do, ignore the subject just inflect their personal opinion about something that is not the subject of the post. Instigate.
Hypocrite
How about I just agree with you? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM-G0bkl8MQ
That's all he wants. Legends just need affirmation.

·
Administrator
19,404 Posts
Easy there hoss, it'll be alright.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
How in the **** is this topic a 5 page thread? Go out and get some sunshine, guys. It's not winter anymore.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts