Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting a motor in a 2002 Volvo C70 that I really like. Man what a bitch this thing is to work on. First these crazy Sweeds put the motor in sideways! There's no room to work on anything and its like someone's father-in-law owned a vacuum hose company! I'd put engines in my Mustang all day just for fun! I pulled my motor one year just cause my engine bay needed a refresh and I thought I'd bead blast the aluminum again. Even disassembled my alternator to bead blast it. Long winters here in upstate NY. For those of you in the cold north, ever notice that your daily driver always breaks down in sub 30 degrees? What's up with that???

Rant over...

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I feel ya. When I had to replace the radiator in my Explorer it took 4+ hours. I looked over at the Mustang knowing I could do it in that in 20 minutes or less. I won't even talk about replacing broken off exhaust manifold studs...

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
was told that i needed ps pump and hoses on my 1990 cadillac dail driver by Tuffy and quote was 700 and i fixed it for less than 75 but took me about 10 days before it was fixed but at 76 yrs young i didnt care. Wes

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
A good friend of mine inherited his father's mid 80's Acura, and under the hood, it looks like a display case for vacuum hoses. That's got to be a nightmare to work on!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I love my Mustangs. Ideal for a person to learn the basics and enjoy the fruits of their labor with a great crowd. I love my other Fords, but I have found a few things to gripe about (all manufacturers have quirks) and always a way to fix em.
Example: 2002-2010 Explorer / Mountaineer etc HVAC blend door failure and blend door actuator clicking...OH MY LORD why didn't Ford design it differently or at least do something about this recurring issue when it became a widespread problem? Answer: money. This was reportedly a ~$1000 job to drain the coolant, AC, remove the front seats and center console, disable the airbags, remove the steering column and entire dash to reach the screws that hold the HVAC box to the firewall. --shaking my head--
I got an exploded view diagram and realized if the windshield was out (or with a few extensions and a mirror) I could reach some screws from above the dash / defrost panel for the actuator. Then, with the glove box door off I could see the mesh grille for the inside air intake AND that blasted blend door laying in there. I made an X cut across the mesh, gloved up, pushed in and grabbed the blend door and put its axle back in place.
Then I drilled a hole on the axle on the outside and put a cotter pin through it so it could never fall again.
Cost? $45 for the blend door and a cotter pin I had in a shop drawer. I kept my $1000, thank you very much. --Rant over--

·
Registered
229 Posts
A couple of years ago, wife bought a new Malibu. Pick it up Saturday, wouldn’t start Sunday. Had it towed back to dealership. It only had 18 miles on odometer. I wasn’t a happy camper.

When it came time to pick it up after repair...computer issue of course.
We took the 65 coupe and of course got a little razzing at the Cheby dealership.

All I had to say, “At least it starts😜”

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I love my Mustangs. Ideal for a person to learn the basics and enjoy the fruits of their labor with a great crowd. I love my other Fords, but I have found a few things to gripe about (all manufacturers have quirks) and always a way to fix em.
Example: 2002-2010 Explorer / Mountaineer etc HVAC blend door failure and blend door actuator clicking...OH MY LORD why didn't Ford design it differently or at least do something about this recurring issue when it became a widespread problem? Answer: money. This was reportedly a ~$1000 job to drain the coolant, AC, remove the front seats and center console, disable the airbags, remove the steering column and entire dash to reach the screws that hold the HVAC box to the firewall. --shaking my head--
I got an exploded view diagram and realized if the windshield was out (or with a few extensions and a mirror) I could reach some screws from above the dash / defrost panel for the actuator. Then, with the glove box door off I could see the mesh grille for the inside air intake AND that blasted blend door laying in there. I made an X cut across the mesh, gloved up, pushed in and grabbed the blend door and put its axle back in place.
Then I drilled a hole on the axle on the outside and put a cotter pin through it so it could never fall again.
Cost? $45 for the blend door and a cotter pin I had in a shop drawer. I kept my $1000, thank you very much. --Rant over--
And they are still failing. Blend door failed on my 2014 Taurrus SHO but fortunately the only thing has to come out to replace it is the glove box door.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My perspective is different I guess. Yes, vintage mustangs are easy and quick to work on....but since I learned the majority of repair and modification work on FWD, fuel injected cars, they just really aren't that bad for me to work on....but they are probably also the reason I always pull both engine and transmission at the same time for any major work that needs to be done.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
And they are still failing. Blend door failed on my 2014 Taurrus SHO but fortunately the only thing has to come out to replace it is the glove box door.
Somebody should have their @$$ whipped for the design and the highway robbery for "repairing" the Explorer etc design. Heater Treater (sp?) is one company that was developed one solution, but it involves hacking open the HVAC plenum. It is kind of like wiping your butt with Christmas paper...not ideal, but better than nothing.

·
Registered
20,323 Posts
My worst job was replacing head gaskets on our 95 Windstar many years ago. Wasn't the winter but right in the middle of a heat wave in August. I had to fashion a tent with a tarp to keep the sun off of me. Everything little thing on that motor had to come off in a specific order or you weren't getting anything off. Man I still have cold sweats thinking about that job!

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Putting a motor in a 2002 Volvo C70 that I really like. Man what a bitch this thing is to work on. First these crazy Sweeds put the motor in sideways! There's no room to work on anything and its like someone's father-in-law owned a vacuum hose company! I'd put engines in my Mustang all day just for fun! I pulled my motor one year just cause my engine bay needed a refresh and I thought I'd bead blast the aluminum again. Even disassembled my alternator to bead blast it. Long winters here in upstate NY. For those of you in the cold north, ever notice that your daily driver always breaks down in sub 30 degrees? What's up with that???

Rant over...
First cellular phone I ever installed, I arrived to the customers location, was led into a basement garage with very little lighting and the first Saab I had ever been close to...9000 Turbo. Took me forever to find the under dash and under hood latches to open the hood and THEN figure out the hood was hinged at the front. Panic when it tipped forward like it was going to slide into the floor...ha ha. And then.......NO BATTERY! Spent the next 20 minutes looking before finding it under the rear seat. Sighhhh.... Saabs and Volvos were always a pain.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I don't miss the 80s/90s vacuum hose craze. I had a carburated 86 Toyota truck. Vacuum lines for days! Days! Even though everyone thinks modern stuff is more complicated, it's just wiring and sensors now. Computer tells you which one failed.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
2015 VW GTI. Love the car, quick, handles well, good mileage. Not long after buying it wife was driving it for the first time, called and said it "died". Triple A, turns out a fuel injector was bad. Fixed under warranty. Long story short, 3 more consecutive failures and 3 more bad injectors. All fixed under warranty, even after warranty ran out, because "bad batch of injectors". 70-80K and noticed a small leak under the front. Water pump. That wasn't under warranty and a new pump and thermostat set me back about $960. Seems you have to remove the entire front of the car to get to it. No other issues, car is still great, but it's NOT my '86 F150 with 300 six and it's NOT my 65 Mustang.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I don't miss the 80s/90s vacuum hose craze. I had a carburated 86 Toyota truck. Vacuum lines for days! Days! Even though everyone thinks modern stuff is more complicated, it's just wiring and sensors now. Computer tells you which one failed.
Haha...those old Toyota 22Rs were bad....had an old 77 Celica 20R that was a complete mess of vacuum lines as well....at least before I yanked the locked up motor and swapped in something simpler and more modern.

·
Registered
546 Posts
BMWs are just as bad. To replace a simple valve cover gasket requires taking off the intake manifold and then some.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Had a 96 Mercury Tracer wagon many years ago. The heater core sprung a leak, so figured I would replace it. Got really nervous when the repair manual started off with: 1 - disconnect negative cable from battery; 2 - remove air bag from steering wheel. WTF? The heater core is on the other side of the dash; why am I removing the steering wheel? Ended up being a 2 day job, and had a small handful of leftover parts and screws. Don't know what they were for, but had no more issues and sold the car when it had over 330K miles on it.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
First cellular phone I ever installed, I arrived to the customers location, was led into a basement garage with very little lighting and the first Saab I had ever been close to...9000 Turbo. Took me forever to find the under dash and under hood latches to open the hood and THEN figure out the hood was hinged at the front. Panic when it tipped forward like it was going to slide into the floor...ha ha. And then.......NO BATTERY! Spent the next 20 minutes looking before finding it under the rear seat. Sighhhh.... Saabs and Volvos were always a pain.
@Huntingky Nah try a Ferrari, I think it was a 308 the carpet was glued to the floor. Had to use a razor blade to carefully separate it to make an area to run the wiring. But I do understand your comments about Saab, we used to call them Sorry A*$ AutomoBile.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
A relative of mine had a girlfriend for a while with a Saab 900 Turbo. We didn't care for her too much, so she got nicknamed Turbob!+ch. I had to wash and vacuum the car as a punishment once and I remember thinking it was probably the most expensive PoS I had ever sat in. It looked like everything that was wrong with the 80s was crammed under one hood.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you think that old stuff with vacuum hoses was an issue take a look at a Villager heater hose set up--about a dozen of them if iirc.
The new stuff with a 1.5 Ecoboom is a horror show as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts