Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
@Huntingky Nah try a Ferrari, I think it was a 308 the carpet was glued to the floor. Had to use a razor blade to carefully separate it to make an area to run the wiring. But I do understand your comments about Saab, we used to call them Sorry A*$ AutomoBile.
Ha ha....never worked a Ferrai, Porsche Ruf Turbo was most exotic I ever touched, don't even remember it having carpet. It was the loudest car I ever worked on: all sound deadening removed, open exhaust engine right behind you. The 308 sounds though like some of the motor homes I worked though: carpet and paneling glued on, sometimes stapled. What ever they could do to get it put together quick and cheap. No thought to later removal. HATED running wires in them.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Spark plug changes on any Subaru with a boxer engine. (Take everything in the way out on both sides of the engine, use a length-adjustable 3/8 drive extension and a tight plug socket) Plugs are in-line with "frame" rails of the unibody and they are DEEP in the engine.
Replace the 2007 Hyundai Sonata 3rd brake light bulb. That means disassemble most of the rear.... like the rear seat, package tray, etc.
Same Sonata but the ash tray in the center stack. Accessing one of the 4-5 screws means you have to remove the floor console and the center stack. A ten minute job becomes a 2 hour one.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Agree with you about the Subaru boxer spark plugs. To change the ones on my Outback I remember moving things out of the way and feeding in a spark plug socket, then feeding in a short extension and engaging the socket, then feeding in another extension to engage the first extension and then getting the ratchet engaged. Once the spark plug was loosened you had to somehow disassemble all those parts and take them out one at a time until you could finally get the spark plug out by itself.

When we were kids my brother had a Pontiac 6000 I think it was and to change the spark plugs in that we just drilled three holes in the firewall and did it from inside the cabin.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Agree with you about the Subaru boxer spark plugs. To change the ones on my Outback I remember moving things out of the way and feeding in a spark plug socket, then feeding in a short extension and engaging the socket, then feeding in another extension to engage the first extension and then getting the ratchet engaged. Once the spark plug was loosened you had to somehow disassemble all those parts and take them out one at a time until you could finally get the spark plug out by itself.

When we were kids my brother had a Pontiac 6000 I think it was and to change the spark plugs in that we just drilled three holes in the firewall and did it from inside the cabin.
Didn't have a Pontiac 6000 experience..... sounds like something I'd do too though.

I forgot about reconnecting the coil packs on the Subaru. You had to be very careful with their 0.00003 cent plastic connector plugs. One false move and
it would be jacked up physically and would no longer click into place & make a good electrical connection to the coil pack..... a few miles later you'd have the dreaded PO301 misfire code.
(you'd then chase your tail for hours trying to figure that out...... not making the "connection" to what just happened when you changed spark plugs)
More fun than any human should be allowed to have.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Didn't have a Pontiac 6000 experience..... sounds like something I'd do too though.

I forgot about reconnecting the coil packs on the Subaru. You had to be very careful with their 0.00003 cent plastic connector plugs. One false move and
it would be jacked up physically and would no longer click into place & make a good electrical connection to the coil pack..... a few miles later you'd have the dreaded PO301 misfire code.
(you'd then chase your tail for hours trying to figure that out...... not making the "connection" to what just happened when you changed spark plugs)
More fun than any human should be allowed to have.
When the Volvo blew, a "friend" sold me a Subaru boxer winter beater. Guess I gotta sell it before I put plugs in it...

My worst job was replacing head gaskets on our 95 Windstar many years ago. Wasn't the winter but right in the middle of a heat wave in August. I had to fashion a tent with a tarp to keep the sun off of me. Everything little thing on that motor had to come off in a specific order or you weren't getting anything off. Man I still have cold sweats thinking about that job!
I did a water pump in a motor home last August. What a nightmare!!!

Had a 96 Mercury Tracer wagon many years ago. The heater core sprung a leak, so figured I would replace it. Got really nervous when the repair manual started off with: 1 - disconnect negative cable from battery; 2 - remove air bag from steering wheel. WTF? The heater core is on the other side of the dash; why am I removing the steering wheel? Ended up being a 2 day job, and had a small handful of leftover parts and screws. Don't know what they were for, but had no more issues and sold the car when it had over 330K miles on it.
Heater core went in my Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999, I think they put the heater core on a pedestal then assemble the Jeep around it. When it leaked, I bought the best radiator sealant money could buy and its held for 2 years so far.

A relative of mine had a girlfriend for a while with a Saab 900 Turbo. We didn't care for her too much, so she got nicknamed Turbob!+ch. I had to wash and vacuum the car as a punishment once and I remember thinking it was probably the most expensive PoS I had ever sat in. It looked like everything that was wrong with the 80s was crammed under one hood.
I had a 1991 SPG I put 250k miles on. It was likely the best car I ever had, ran like a sewing machine, it was a blast to drive and was well laid out for comfort on a long trip. What I total bitch to work on though. Accessory belts up against the firewall UGH!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Used to help people out with car stuff in college for beer money. Once someone ask a buddy and I if either or both of us would help changing the clutch in a Fiero. Looked at it briefly, no F'n way. In the parking lot of dorm? Absolutely not.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Buddy of mine asked if I would help change injectors on his Duramax. Looked into it and said no f'n way too.

He lucked out though and found a chevy factory mechanic who does side work and got them done for about 5 grand.

·
Just some guy
20,217 Posts
Good move, Duramaxes are no joke. Things are built in layers. More tubes and bits than anyone would imagine a diesel needs. And Lord forbid you should try and reassemble with one tiny bit out of order. Did a head gasket on an '05 and the garage was full of parts before I got to where the actual head was. Amazing. '10 and up trucks have trimmed away some of the excessive bits stuck on the engines but are still pretty much a cluster.

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Used to help people out with car stuff in college for beer money. Once someone ask a buddy and I if either or both of us would help changing the clutch in a Fiero. Looked at it briefly, no F'n way. In the parking lot of dorm? Absolutely not.
I made A LOT of gas and Mustang parts money doing little side jobs in college and after. I worked on a GIGANTIC 1970s Cadillac for a fraternity once, got it running great, they took off the trunk lid and put TWO COUCHES in the trunk and they had 4-row bench seating for riding around town and eventually in some parade. They paid me with a few cases of the cheapest beer.
I didn't drink...
I had fun watching them make fools of themselves, though!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I started my mustang project after 5 years of road racing a Cadillac CTS-V. Did lots of work to that car including replacing the engine when I blew it up at Road America. That supercharged V8 was shoe horned into the engine bay. My hands are scarred from all the cuts trying to do ANYTHING on that motor. When I got to working on the 66 Mustang I found it a joy to have tons of space to work on the motor!

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Today I just replaced the alternator in my son's 2007 FJ Cruiser. I watched a Youtube video on the steps, and the guy in the video suggested a breaker bar to bust loose the two alternator bolts. I thought he was exaggerating, but he wasn't! I ended up using a 24" breaker bar to bust those bolts loose. Who the hell needs alternator bolts that tight? I could see if they were head bolts or some rusted out suspension parts, but alternator bolts?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Took me 2 days and lots of pain to replace the AC clutch on a 2002 Honda Civic. At least I didn't have to pull the engine. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Every wonder why a $75,000 car sells for $10.000 when its 6-7-8 years old?

·
Just some guy
20,217 Posts
Some even less. I observed a Mercedes and a Jaguar both sitting flat on their bellies but completely intact at the local scrap metal yard. IE, they were sold as scrap, not parts cars. I had to ask. Both had computer controlled air ride suspensions that were expensive enough to properly repair both cars were 'totalled" rather than be repaired. No doubt some climate control demons and such other problems were also involved. Scrap prices currently meaning that each car couldn't have sold for more than $300. Went back later to find a local automotive salvage yard had bought both of them for twice what the scrapyard paid for them.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts