Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across someone who is willing to make "Plastic" parts for our Mustangs. He does this through Injection Plastic Molding. He has already made several types of parts "Stock & Custom" for the 65 - 73 Mustang era, and told me he can make just about anything I want.

My questions,

What "Original" and/or hard to come by "Plastic" parts for the Mustang would be worth considering to make from a enthusiast perspective?

Also, what "Custom Plastic" parts would enthusiast like to see available for Mustangs? He can even do parts that were originally metal or cardboard and might be more durable or cost efficient in a plastic form, such as, trunk drop off dividers or trunk splash guards that cover the backseat inside the trunk, etc.

I have some of his stuff already such as custom door panels; seatbacks with and without slotted magazine holders like SUV's have; package trays with custom built in speaker boxes; original style trap doors with or without built in speaker boxes, etc? The trapdoors even have the grain in them just like the originals! I have been selling some of this stuff over in the classifieds already.

After talking with him yesterday, I thought I would pass it along, since he is more than willing to work with those of us in the Mustang community. IMO, I think this is something that is long overdue, and will be a good source of new parts..

Let me know what parts you might think would be worth investigating further. Also make sure you give a good description of the part and for what years, so I can talk to him about it in detail.

You can reply to my post here, or contact me directly by email at [email protected] if you would rather have a one on one conversation.

*** FYI, This is not a solicitation of business, but a solicitation of information request, Please don't reply to this post if you are just wanting information on product or to purchase an item, rather see my ad in the classified section. I just thought other enthusiast may see a need for certain parts, that isn't being made or may lack the quality or affordable price others may have.

Thanks

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey Doug: A couple of quick parts that I would like to see.
#1 Less expensive "A' piller trim pieces for '69-'70 Fastbacks. The repos are $105.00 each...That's too high.
#2 Radio and heater trip piece for the '69-'70's that would take a stero with CD player bilt in. Someone is making one in aluminuim, but, wants $400.00 for it...
I am just a poor man. I can't afford (and won't pay) these prices...
Thanks
Steve (Fordnut)

·
Registered
655 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing the following:

69-70 AFFORDABLE Custom Instrument Bezel that holds modern gauges. Someone else is doing this for around $1000, which includes gauges.

69-70 Reproduction full lenght consoles. Maybe with optional cupholders?

69-70 Custom Overhead Consoles. I know ford never did it, but I like the way they look in 67-68 Mustangs and Cougars!!

69 and 70?? Custom Hood Tach housing. I'd even be interested in a gauge pod similar to 65-66 shelby ones that would sit on the dash pad, without having to cut it up. I don't have the guts to mess with the $400 dash pad.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I'm with Chet, the first 3 things I thought about were consoles, consoles, and consoles.

If he could make look alikes that were nice you could sell the holy heck out of them. They wouldn't have to be true repros, just the right look as the originals instead of the late model look of the Hump Huggers. If the original top plates were interchangable with the originals that would be a major plus.

Another thing I ran across today is a need for repro '70 front fender extensions. The '69's are being reproduced but not the '70's. The '69's go for about $250 ea retail so if the part was a nice peice you could recoup your tooling cost pretty quickly on those.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Whizco......

Owning a 69 stang I envy those 64-68 stang owners who can purchase kick panels with provisions for speakers......I know the fresh air vents are there,, but our cars 69-70 have plenty of room to expand for a 6.5 or 5.25 inch speaker setup.

I think it would be a great addition to the parts market.....

when building any sound system in ANY car...the front stage is the most crucial for any good sounding sound system.

regards.....

If you want drawings for design let me know, I can draft some nice ones with measurements and all....

Oh and maybe some package trays with elevated and angled speaker platforms for better rear imaging too....this would be a bonus!!!!

Also....the panels between the rear seat and door jamb.....with provision for a 6.5 inch speaker.....for the vert owners since they dont have package trays....

lemme know if you need help designing.

Roberto

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
How about a rear seat/tunk divider that has a built in enclosure facing the rear for subwoofers? I know a lot of people want to put subs in their stang but hate to have a huge box in the trunk for them

Just for anyone having doubts, heres a picture some custom door panels the guy made...awesome looking!

http://a1.cpimg.com/image/C1/D4/11894721-e0da-01840123-.jpg

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and maybe some package trays with elevated and angled speaker platforms for better rear imaging too....this would be a bonus!!!!

Do you mean like these?
http://a2.cpimg.com/image/1C/95/11916572-ff0f-01840118-.jpg

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have to agree with the earlier responses for 69 parts above, especially the consoles! I just had to pay 256.00 for an original that needs redone cause thier is no other source. LOL

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been thinking about this one also! Especially the 4-spd bases. The trouble is...trying to find someone who has a nice one that would be willing to let me use it to make a mold off of it. These aren't cheap, or I'd buy one just for this purpose.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If he has some spare time, maybe make some better kick panels for the 65-66 stangs that can hold a decent speaker. Also the rear seat divider with builtin subwoofer encolsure(s) would be a good idea.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Not to throw cold water on you but I suggest that your friend get some legal advice before you start knocking off parts in the garage. Might be some patent issues.

Just a thought.....

J. Boggs

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thought of two parts for a 69-70. The plastic piece under the steering wheel. If you have had to replace it you know which one it is. And the peice above the glovebox. If anybody has a PO like mine they put a big 8 track in that location. Very hard to find peice. No repros on wither part.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Hey Doug! I saw some of your parts for sale, and would like to suggest maybe the 69-73 crowd would be likely to look for some reproduction pieces that are hard to come by. I am not familiar with the cars of those years, but SR sailpanels, interior seat surrounds, kick panels, etc. Like what you have for the 65-68's but the later model parts are said to be harder to find in good condition, or reproduced.

Just a thought

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These are being professionally manufactured by a business, not a friend in a garage! This person I have been talking with, owns the company and has been in business for many years. I'm sure he is aware of the legalities of what's at hand, or he wouldn't be offering this, and he wouldn't have been in business as long as he has. I'm sure if there are patent issues, the items WON'T be made, or they could possibly be modified to the point as to not interfere with any patents on the original tooling of some parts.

These parts are only being discussed here in this post which I'm sure some that have been mentioned DO have patents. This is just a discussion to generate interest in what people would like to see produced, not everything will be produced based on many issues including the ones you brought up.

I really didn't see a need to add a statement in my original post, telling folks here to just suggest parts that can legally be made, as for most people don't know which ones can or can't be made, or which ones have patents. I figured those could be weeded out by him, since he does deal with this kind of stuff on a professional business level and not out of his garage!

G

·
0 Posts
I need to find the rear interior side sail panels for a 66 shelby fastback that goes around the plexiglass vent windows instead of the original vents. Where can I get these?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have been talking to a friend in Sweden who makes custom plastic license plate frames with chromed plastic. I was looking into making the interior vents on 67 and 68 Fastbacks. Most people I talk to complains about pitting and poor condition of the vents. My friend told me that the tooling cost was going to be too high compared to how many he could sell in Europe. Maybe your contact can make them cheaper. I and many with me would rather buy nice repro plastic that having those ugly pitted metal ones.

Tony

·
Registered
394 Posts
for 71-73s
full length consoles, molded seat backs, sail panel extentions for the rear interior quarter panels (with and without fold down rear seat option). Grills for 71 and 72, tail panel honeycomb?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts