Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks I could use some advice here. I have a 1991 5.0 roller motor with Edlebrock Performer heads and matching Cam 3722

Rollin' Thunder Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
Ford 5.0L
.498''/.498'' Lift
282°/282° Adv. Duration
Idle-6000 RPM Range

The combo tests at around 380HP at the crank and Its got to be in the neighborhood because the car is nuts. Problem is idle and 1st and 2nd trying to drive slow and smooth:

- at idle the car can shake and not in a good way. It's not typical NVH because I'm on stock engine mounts. More of a rocking. I'm temped to try stiffer mounts but I fear NVH. Thoughts?

- parking lots and driveways can cause lugging and threaten to lurch. I frequently disengage the clutch to smooth it out. Trying to get a coffee in the drive through is an interesting endeavor.

Otherwise this motor is stunning. But I'm at the point where I'd happily lose some power to have smoother idle and slow driving performance. And I'd rather not have my wife hate the car!

Other info - standard 1991 mustang GT world class T5. 3:25 9" Posi

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right. I picked it to favor drivability over power. What would you suggest? 12 - 14? Stock for an 85GT (similar drive train) is 10.

P

·
0 Posts
THat is not a radical camshaft. I believe you have other issues, not associated with the cam. If your engine is lurching at lower rpms, you have a miss of some sorts. You should be able to cruise at 1500 and be totally smooth , easily.

·
Registered
35,220 Posts
Pete's right, there's something going on here, but it is a lumpy cam, and will become smoother with a set of Rhodes lifters. It'll also have more low rpm power and get better mileage.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Timing and A/F ratio need attention...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll start with the carb and timing. The lifters sound pretty interesting if I can't calm her down.

·
Registered
20,861 Posts
That's basically the E cam or should say it is. I was going to use the E cam I had if it didn't get rusted. .498/.498, 220/220, 110 lsa. Check your basics again. I would run the 16° as sportsroof69 suggested. What brand of plugs are you using? My 00 ZX2 had new Bosch the PO install. Ran like crap with them. I hear other folks complain about them as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts