Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm just about ready to complete my installation of my distributor.. i'm at the point of hooking my coil up to the balance resistor that i was told i needed.. but i'm getting confused.. i'm not sure if i have a "loom resistance wire" for my ignition i'm not understanding what this is.. I have the (3) original wire lead that connects from the firewall with the oil/temp/Ignition coil Bat. connections. Is this the "Loom Resistance Wire" they are talking about? i was sold a balance resistor so i'm assuming it is needed.. i'm just confused about it.. Help Anyway?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
You don't need to use the ballast resistor that was supplied with your new coil. The original wire between the igintion switch and the positive side of the coil is a resistance wire. It will reduce the voltage to the proper level without having to use the new ballast resistor.

That being said, you should read the instructions again for both the distributor and the coil and make sure you need to have any resisitor at all. Some of these systems require a full 12 volts not the 9 or so you will get using the original resistor.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To play it safe you think i should install the resistor anyway? i don't know if i should take the chance with the old wire failing on me or not.. if this is what i have when they say Loom resistance wire.. Thanks

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have had mallory systems in all three of my mustangs and have always used the ballast. I have never had a problem with the cars with the ballast installed.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
When I installed my Unilite, I read alot about the posiblity of spiking the bulb due to a faulty Loom wire,so I tested the wire with a Volt meter and sure enough the wire started out at about 9 volts but slowly climbed to about 12 volts at idle. I bought a Mopar Ballist resister and it holds at about 8 volts,Ive run this setup for about a Year and a half with no problems. Good Luck, Dave.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts