Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just bought a Mallory Unilite distributor for my 289. The instructions say that if you don't have a resistor wire in the car's wiring you need to use their ballast resistor (part #700) or the module will be slowly destroyed. I know some folks here are running Unilites, did you install the resistor or what? It's also my understanding that there is a some sort of surge protector Mallory recommends you install. Is this necessary?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I run a Mallory Unilite in my '68 289 WITH a resistor for over 4 years ............no problems

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hello
Our early mustangs have a resister wire in the harness. If your car is stock no need to add another. I run the active power filter part#29351. At $32 it saved my distributor once. I was happy to replace it instead of the ignition module.
Chuck

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Run a resistor and the power filter. One spike and the Unilite light bulb will burn instantly. I love the distributor in my 427 and a CJ I did for a customer, but even the slightest surge will pop them without the filter.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I'm running it without the resistor OR the filter on my 73 351C for 10 years and 8,000 miles. Works fine. Had a module go bad on me, though - big $$$$. The module did not go out completely - it would start and run and then once the car heated up it would abruptly die. If I had it to do over again I would have kept the stock dizzy with a Pertronix.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've been running the Unilite on my 68 for close to 10 years now and I've always used the resistor. To date, I haven't had a single problem with it (knocks on wood).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts