Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few days I have been having a really bad problem with my car just shutting down for no apparent reason. It all started one day (particularly hot) driving home from work. I had been sitting in stop/go traffic for a while, and just when I made it to my street my car shut down just like I had turned the key off--no sputtering, just BOOM it was off. I pulled into a driveway, cranked on it a bit, but it would still not start. I started thinking vapor lock, but the carb was shooting a good stream out of the accelerator nozzles, all wiring looked good, etc. I got back in, and it cranked right up. Drove about 1/5 mile and shutdown again. Coasted to my driveway from there, but could not get it up the hill until I let it sit for about 30 minutes. Once I got up to the house, it quit again. I found that I could start it up, it would run about 3 minutes, and then shutdown. Start up after about 2 minutes, run 3, shutdown.

I replaced the coil, solenoid, and voltage regulator. Tested the unilite module per Mallory's procedure, and it looked OK.

Thinking the problem should be fixed, I drove down to the local 1/8mile strip this weekend (maybe 10 miles away). It quit on me again, fortunately before I had paid. I got it started back up, made it out to the main road after about 3 shutdowns and one M-80 class backfire (car would fortunately start right back up so I did not have to pull over). I pulled over at a bank and a friend who was following me said it looked to be running "rich as a pig". I tightned down the idle mix screws a little, and backed off the ignition timing a little. This seemed to make no difference, as the car shut down about 6 times on the way home.

My question is--is this another instance of the "reliability" of the Unilite module, or am I missing something? I hate to dump the distributor--it only has about 500 miles on it, but if this is a Mallory problem I do not want to risk another shutdown when I am turning across traffic or something.

If the consensus is that this is a dist. problem, should I go with an Accel, MSD, or ???. I just want something reliable and easy (not a points distributor).

·
Registered
913 Posts
This just happened to me last night when i was helping another mustanger out.

I was turning around in the driveway and got straighted outand abotu 30 feet down the road when the car just shut off. We couldn't get it started again.

Did a quick coil swap, nothing. no loose wires, fuel is going into he carb.

It was late at night and i did a quick electrical rundown with a test light and the results lead me to suspect something wrong between the coil and the distributor.

I'll have to go back to this other guy's house in the next couple days and figure it out. But i've only had about 1000 on my new mallory unilite dist in my 351C and it drove great with no probs the 30 min drive over there. *shrug*

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
recommend you confirm fuel or ignition as the problem. when it shuts down just pull plug wire, place it about 1/4 to 3/8 inch from block, crank engine and observe good blue (not yellow spark). if engine doesn't run and you see no spark its ignition which i feel is most likely problem as you describe it.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
sounds like a form of an ignition problem, a month or two ago i had something like that happening to me.. i would be going down the road , the car would backfire REAL bad, then just shut down on me. and just like u it would start right back up .... i changed the wire going from the dist to the coil, and changed my ignition switch . problem was cured.. apparently, i just had a bad connection of sorts.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
That's exactly how my 73 vert was acting when the Unilite module went bad. I checked everything else. Replaced the module and it solved the problem. If you are dissatisfied with the Unilite, I recommend that you put the stock distributor back in with a Pertronix unit. That would actually be cheaper than replacing the Unilite module (mine cost $100!!).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you ever find out what was the problem w/ your car? I am going to try to get mine straightened out this weekend and thought you may have a useful update.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts