Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 65 Fb is curently running a Mallory Unilte distributor with a huge (ugly) coil and ballast assembly mounted above the waher bag. Is it possible to replace this coil with a high output flamethrower unit from Pertronix and relocate it to the stock position? Any suggestions, as Mallory wasn't very helpful? TIA

G

·
I've run my Mallory with a stock coil, a Accel Super Coil, and a Mallory coil, all worked. I had most of my problems trying to use a MSD-7AL-2. Really don't like the Unilite.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
My '65 has a Mallory Dual Points, Mallory Coil and stock wiring including ballast wire. Works fine, looks good. Using a Unilite is no different than using the Dual Points. You can use the stock wiring and stock ballast wire under the dash. If you use the Unilite without Hyfire, you should use a conventional ignition coil. If you have a Hyfire module (or MSD module) you should use the electronic ignition coil. The difference between these coils is the number of turns of wire used in the coil so you should use the correct coil type for your application.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I'm running a Unilite and Pertronix coil. No problem. Didn't neet the ballast resistor, as my stock resistor wire was doing the job. Just make sure you aren't getting any more than 9-10 volts at the coil from the ignition wire. I checked with Mallory to be sure and they said that was fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts