Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 coupe - Sprint 200 the straight 6. I'm having a Manifold leak issue - has been a reoccurring thing. Has anyone had any problems with this as well? Any tips or anecdotal information on fixing this?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Obviously NO takers on this 1 ? ( not sexy enough ? ) Whereabouts ?? - Engine Pipe/Headpipe to Manifold Outlet Flange/Kip/Studs !, At Head- manifold , a hot box etc or a Casting leak ?.
More input ?.
Have you had a quick once-over/advice from a good independant or reliable Xh shop or Chain ?.
HRTrev.
_20200309_130238.JPG
_20200309_130238.JPG

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Excuse me, but what's up with the Decals?

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
What's the problem ? - Don't you like some period correct eye-candy, in stereo ?
Worse things happen at sea, my friend.
Ok, they are nice......just attempting to learn were it was going "Mate".

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
I have a 66 coupe - Sprint 200 the straight 6. I'm having a Manifold leak issue - has been a reoccurring thing. Has anyone had any problems with this as well? Any tips or anecdotal information on fixing this?
Recurring leak between the manifold and cylinder head (which might be corrected by having the manifold surfaced to correct any warp along the sealing surface) or between the manifold and the head pipe?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Like "Woodchuck" said, If its warped take it to machine shop and have it surfaced or just buy a new one. You can check it yoursel with a straight edge. If your not sure exactly where the exhaust leak is you can stick a piece of small hose (fuel hose works good) in your ear and run the other end around the manifold and you will hear the leak when you pass over it. It could be cracked where you cannot see it. Bolts could be loose. If it uses as gasket the gasket could be bad. Not all exhaust manifolds use them. Be careful with exhaust manifold bolts and studs. They get heated and cooled so many times that they get brittle and easily break. I usually replace all the bolts when I have a manifold off. We stopped a lot of warped Chevy 350 manifold leaks at work using the Permatex high temp red silicone. It held up better than the gaskets.

·
Registered
90 Posts
All good tips & advice - another bit for future ease of dissemble y is IF studs & nuts used on the Manifold to Exh pipe Join (& lip) use 2 dissimilar metals Eg metal studs in the Manifold/s & Brass Nuts on them lubed with Copper based grease (& the grease would burn off/evaporate - leaving a fine layer of copper flaks on the he mating threads, you can in FAC use this tip anywhere down the Exh system line IF state EPA laws allow ).
Where has the originator gone ? Off to a shop ?? :p

·
Registered
954 Posts
What's the problem ? - Don't you like some period correct eye-candy, in stereo ?
Worse things happen at sea, my friend.
Decals will only fix the manifold leak if they are taped to the mating face of the manifold before you bolt it back onto the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts