Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some different opinions on manual choke vs automatic choke carbs. I am about to make the switch from a 2bbl 2 4bbl. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Will one require any additional modifications? Thanx.

G

·
0 Posts
The only problem i ran into on my new holley electric choke was getting it adjusted right. i did the usual - i thought the holley folks would have it set close to what it should be out of the box... it was way off and the throttle speed was way too high....

but the elctric choke works great for me....

65 pony from ground up, inline 6 (son's car),
66 Red Convertible, 289(dad's car)

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Assumming they're both hooked up right, there's no "mechanical" advantage to either, they both do exactly the same thing. Manual chokes, IMHO, require a little less adjustment (but it very little).

If going electric, you'll need to run a wire through the firewall to the ignition wire, on a manual, you'll need to run the cable through the firewall.

Manual chokes gives you the control over when it's used and when it's not, but with electric, you can't head out on the freeway and forget you have the choke closed.

So, there ... the choice is all up to you /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

G

·
0 Posts
John:

I ran my choke wire from the switched side of the cellunoid without having to go through the firewall.

Could that cause me problems down the road?

65 pony from ground up, inline 6 (son's car),
66 Red Convertible, 289(dad's car)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If you want to keep your wife from driving it go with the manual choke otherwise go electric. it is easier to install one wire than it is to run a cable. I've found a manual choke just annoying.

motor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts