Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there some way to make a manual transmission carburetor into a Automatic trans carb by putting a dashpot on, or is this just a silly question. Is there any other difference between the two

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Ive never owned a car with a dashpot.....though honestly I keep idle speed a tiny bit high

The kickdown lever is much nicer to have than a dashpot

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Dashpots are on all automatic transmission cars carbs. At leaast they are supposed to be :)

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'm confused. What does the kick down lever have to do with a dash pot? They're 2 totally unrelated things. The kick down is used when you mash the throttle, the dash pot is used when you take your foot off the throttle.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Sorry, the answer is yes. You need the dashpot and the attaching bracket. Both are pretty easy to find.

The dashpot is to keep the revs from falling to fast and stalling the car.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the Autolite 4100 carb I am looking at is made for a manual transmission (without a dashpot) can I put a dashpot on it, or is it a totally different set up and cannot not be done.

·
Registered
257 Posts
What effect does it have to run an auto carb (with dashpot) with a manual trans? Or should ya just remove the dashpot?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
The dash pot is usually mounted to a bracket that is attached by screws to the side of the carb. I can't be positive but I'd bet you could just put one on your existing carb. I've run more than one car without one, it's not absolutely necessary. All it's really for is to keep the engine from dying when you let off the gas suddenly. If you're being followed by a "high speed pursuit" you will need one. For normal driving, just turning up the idle speed a bit is often enough. If you do need one it will be self-evident after some driving.
The kickdown is optional for non-overdrive trannies. It's nice have but, but you can certainly yank the shifter down a gear when needed. With a bit of creativity, it shouldn't be too hard to hook up a kickdown if you want to.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Please, let's not suggest to people that it is okay to be a "previous owner" :) :)

You need a dashpot and you need a kickdown lever in the same way you need gauges, a passenger seat, an air cleaner, windows, etc :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry pprince, I didn't read your post correctly ::. Attaching bracket and a dashpot and the carb will be set up for an auto trans.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I'm confused. What does the kick down lever have to do with a dash pot? They're 2 totally unrelated things. The kick down is used when you mash the throttle, the dash pot is used when you take your foot off the throttle.

I didnt say they were related...just that dashpots arent all that necessary IMO, and kickdown levers are much nicer to have.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My car is missing the kickdown cable to the tranny... darn those "previous owners!" In 8 summers that I've owned the car it never bugged me--I can always SelectShift into a lower gear. But now that I think about that missing cable, I just have to have it! D'oh.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Oh I forgot to ask, does anyone have the cable that I might buy... or can I just sort of "make one" with stuff from Home Depot or Cdn. Tire?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
What I had in mind was that I was addressing a person in Australia who might not have replacement parts for 35 year old American cars readily available to him. I was suggesting that it would likely be OK to run without those two particular parts. Indeed I have done it and a number of Fords I have owned were missing the dashpot or it was inoperative. Never having noticed any ill effects, I never bothered to repair them. Kickdowns I like, but some people actually remove them for personal preference. Ever try to find a correct kickdown rod/cable locally? Sometimes 35 year old parts aren't that easy to find for us either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts