Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if any of you have used a manual valve body aod for a daily driver?? I've got a chance to get a Lentech Strip Terminator tranny that is a full manual valve body with a 3000 stall converter. I will probably change the stall speed down to around a 2400 or so since this is going to be a street car and the last thing I want to do is burn up a tranny after all of the work of getting it and putting it in. I know Lentechs Strip Terminator is suppose to hold up to 1,500hp, which is overkill for my set up but since I've talked him down to around 1,600 plus 300 shipping and a new TC for around 400 the set up is a lot cheaper then buying a new one from Lentech. But I'm not sure about the full manual valve body. If it is going to be a complete pain in the a** or if it is really nice for a street driver. Just looking for some advice on this whole thing. Thax.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Re: Manuael Valve Body

I manually shifted mine for a while for a different issue. It was a pain, and if you forget and come to a stop in third, the car will take off in 3 rd that will be bad for the clutches inside.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
The 10" converter will be fine as long as you can shed the heat. I drove a manual valve body on the street for a number of years and the race car has always had one in it.

On the street, with a 10" converter and 4.11's or 3.89's, I'd just start out in second, like a green dot. Drive it like a PowerGlide.

With the race car, which had a 8" converter and 5.14's, I drove around in high gear all the time except when racing. No issues.

Not using first gear will not hurt the transmission. The only thing that will happen is that more power will go to heat in the ATF and need to be shed. Make sure your ATF cooler is adequate. One the race car, I hooked the cooler lines to the oil cooler on the Mazda radiator I ran. It's at the bottom of the radiator in this picture

Good luck!

Pat

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles did you drive on the transmission on the street?? I'm one of those ppl who can't just let a car sit after putting so much work into it. So I will drive it at least one day a week and probably during most of the weekend. Figuring I will be putting around 5 to 6k miles a year and that is kinda an under-estimate. And also how will a manual valve body work with a detroit locker that I've got running since the shifts will be rather stiff?? Thax either way for the advice.

·
Registered
9,637 Posts
Unless you intend on going to the strip A LOT, pass on the manual valve body. It totally ruins the idea of having an auto IMHO. Sometimes I like to run it through the gears manually, other times I will just leave it in D and let it do it's thing - not going to happen with a manual body.

If you want to shift gears all the time, put a stick in it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what I was kinda thinking, but didn't know if it worked pretty well like that and what not. To just what point it going annoying rather then fun anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Everyone Ive ever talked to has a blast with a RMVB. If youre going to drive it one or two days a week then I say go for it! Thats exectly what Im doing. How hard is it to pull the shifter back a few times while driving? I promise you will have fun with it. That is the point of building these cars right?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would absolutely buy that transmission. They are bad *** and you will not regret it. Two buddies of mine have them and love them.

One of them drove from SF to LA, ran a 9 second pass, and drove home...all on the tires he raced on, and he got 20 mpg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts