Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I finally got the cash together to finish my rebuild, and last night (early this morning) I got the fresh 351C back on the mounts, and back on the tranny.

Everything's mated-up nicely, but I still have to put the nuts on the torque converter bolts. So I tried to rotate the crankshaft by using a large torque wrench on the harmonic balancer bolt, and I couldn't get it to turn. When it was on the engine stand and I was installing the push rods and rocker arms, it was tough to turn, but after breaking the enigine loose, I could turn it pretty easily.

My question is, how tough should manually turning over the engine be? I plastigauged all of the bearings, and torqued everything down per the specs.

If you need some background info on the machining or the engine specs, let me know.

Any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plugs aren't in yet, and I don't think it's binding on anything, because I could turn it over while it was on the stand. The only differences between then and now are the motor mounts and the flywheel, and the fact that while it was on the stand, I had better leverage.

I didn't check to see if the car was in park, but I didn't think that mattered. The torque converted turns freely until it reaches a certain RPM, and then engages the tranny. Isn't that right?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It won't matter if the car is in park or in any gear, if it did you wouldn't be able to put the tranny in park with the engine idling.

It sounds like something is binding inside the bellhousing, if you could turn the engine over when it was on the stand.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've rebuilt close to a hundred engines and everyone took extra help (long breaker bar) to rotate the crank and it turned over fine with the starter later. BTW, don't ruin your torque wrench by using it as a breaker bar. If it is a clicker type I'd get it recalibrated now. Believe me, I've learned that from experienced.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The torque converter isn't contacting the flex plate, is it? You should have maybe 3/8" clearance between the two. If it is contacting the flex plate, it isn't seated correctly. You will have to separate the two, and reseat the torque converter.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts