Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after weeks of half-heartedly trying to get this installation to work, I accidently managed to finish it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

http://www.darkbox.com/mustang/altbracket/IMG_1445.jpg

I stumbled across this alternator bracket on March Performance's web site, and decided to try it out. The sales guy I spoke with on the phone warned me that they were having alignment problems with these brackets, although he did so in the same breath that he tried to upsell me to their $700+ serpentine conversion package, which I wasn't really interested in. I decided to go ahead and try just the alternator bracket (they also have a P/S pump bracket) and see how it went.

The first obstacle was that one of the socket-head cap screws supplied with the kit actually bottomed out before it snugged down on the bracket. This can be easily remedied with a dremel moto-tool and a cutoff wheel.

On my particular install, I have a timing cover that has some stripped threads, and the bolt holding the upper part of the alternator bracket has a nut behind the lip of the timing cover to hold the bolt in place. The one supplied by March, through no fault of their own, was not long enough, and so I had to track down a single 3.5" socket head cap screw. Finding someone selling just a single one was a challenge, but I did eventually find a vendor in Georgia.

The second obstacle, as expected (and warned), was that the alignment of the bracket was off by about 1/8" or thereabouts. This was easily remedied by the addition of some washers between the bracket and the aluminum spacers that come with the kit. If anyone knows where I can find some aluminum spacer stock (or simply spacers about 1" long that I can cut down to size) please let me know.

The third obstacle is that the alternator belt I had on there originally was too short to slip around the pulley, even with the alternator arm adjusted as far in as possible. I managed to get a belt that was ever so slightly larger (15390, IIRC) which is a little on the long side but still within the adjustable range of the arm.

The fourth obstacle is that, possibly because of my non-standard 1-wire PowerMaster alternator, the alternator fan interfered with the adjusting arm. I used it as an excuse to buy a DeWalt angle grinder, and simply shortened the alternator fan blades by 1/8" or so.

The fifth obstacle, which I have yet to really address, is that the alternator belt actually rubs against the adjusting arm slightly. Not a lot, just a little bit. I've noticed some belt dust accumulating on the bracket, but it hasn't yet visibly eaten away very much of the belt. I'm going to keep my eye on it and see how it does.

On the up side, the bracket looks great. The adjusting arm is really nice too, as you can adjust the tension of the alternator belt very easily, unlike the old bolt-through-the-swing-arm variety. It was a giant pain in the ass, and I don't recommend it for the timid, although knowing what you're in for and how to remedy it might make a difference.

Here are a couple more images:

http://www.darkbox.com/mustang/altbracket/IMG_1443.jpg

http://www.darkbox.com/mustang/altbracket/IMG_1442.jpg

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Thanks for the update. I've been eyeing that bracket for a long time, not only for it's looks, but the easy adjustability of the belt tension (once you work on a newer car, the old pry bar in one hand and tighten the bolt with the other thing just seems archaic.).

I think I'll hold out for version II, though (assumming they'll make one). I used to have a boat that had the alternator belt rub slightly on the motor mount (major design flaw in the Searay DeVille boats). I usually carried 2 spare alternator belts with me it broke so often ... and you haven't lived until you are changing an alternator belt (you have to remove one motor mount on this boat to do it) in the middle of Lake Berriesa with 3 foot swells /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I had the same brackets for a week and finally sent them back. There are somethings I'm willing to hack and make work but not a set of alternator brackets (not at that price).

Glad to see you got them working. Maybe you should forward this link to MARCH.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can buy a chrome plated steel spacer from www.summitracing.com

Thanks for the tip, Bill. Fordnut has actually offered me some smaller aluminum spacers he had lying around, which will work nicely on the bracket-to-water pump mounting points.

This particular Mr. Gasket item will actually solve a different problem I have, which is that I now have two different spacers (of different materials and sizes) going between the alternator hinge point and the cylinder head. Having only a single uniform one would definitely be an improvement, so I'll check this out. Thanks again.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this your ammo to help you win at the BAMA show this weekend?

Nope. For that, I plan on employing a combination of charm, bribery, and blackmail. What's your price? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts