Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This month's Mustang and Fords mag mentions using this setup on a vintage ford. They say the rear discs from an 84-88 mark VII will swap to a vintage 8 or 9 inch rear. Has anyone done this, and is it really worthwhile?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have one sitting in my garage, I was at a wrecking yard 3 years ago and decided that this would work. I have some ideas how to mount it, but i have not gotten that far into the work. For every day driving, large drums will work better, but for that cool factor the rear disc's are much better.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I read in M&F that it was an "easy bolt on" conversion... hmmm. I wonder if that comes with instructions, hehe! I too, thought that was interesting as the wow factor is definately there for rear disks!

Check with GypsyR. He knows a thing or two about rear disk conversions.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I thought that was the case as I think the MK VII's had the ABS options so the axles stuck out of the housing a bit further than usual. I know the 5.0L crowd swap the rear caliper brackets from one side to the other and flip them over - forcing them to weld a bolt head on the bracket - something I can't remember the details of...

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm working with Steve (Ultrastang) now on producing a second batch for this upgrade. It requires 15" wheels or greater. I really like it. My home page, tech page has the instructions for 14" wheels. Those brackets and the brackets for the large bearing Ford are in prototype stages as we speak & hope to have them in a month. :p
The second batch will be ready this week.

·
Administrator
19,339 Posts
If you want rear disks on a budget, it's tough to beat the price/performance combo of UltraStang's setup.
Do you need rear disks? I don't know. They are an improvement over drums in many ways, but not hugely so. It's worth noting all the late model vehicles now sporting OEM rear disks. Explorers, Blazers, pickups, heavy duty trucks, small cars, sports car, big cars, cop cars, and on and on.
Personally I don't think it's possible to have brakes that are TOO good. If you've driven a car at all, you know there will come a time when you'll need every bit of braking power you've got. What may seem a minor improvement in braking performance may be enough to mean the difference between honking and shaking your fist at some idiot and riding to the hospital in the back of an ambulance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
To me, it's not a true DIY bolt on swap if you have to go through an aftermarket supplier. I think mixing and matching original oem parts and aftermarket parts is a recipe for confusion. I'm not questioning the intentions or skills of the people that are in favor of this setup. But think 5 years down the road, if a bracket cracks, can a new one be bought? Are real performance pads available for the setup that don't cost an arm and a leg?

The bottom line is that none of us have the skills/abilities of a team of automotive engineers, so these kinds of things are better left to the pros. Either use a complete oem setup, or go aftermarket. If you do the math, adding up your time and the cost of sourcing all of those parts, $640 for a rear SSBC kit starts looking pretty good. Just my .02...

Dan

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
voodoo65

Hey, what exact month is that issue? and what's on the cover? (something a little more descriptive than "a fast mustang").

And is the title ~exactly "Mustang and Fords"?

I'm not being lazy here, I've been to 3 places trying to find the issue. There's a "5.0" magazine, a "Muscle (in script) Mustang and Ford". I thought it was this one, but couldn't find any "MarkVII" info/articles inside at all.

Thanks for any extra info.

Sloan

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Is this it??

http://www.mustangandfords.com/mustangfords/toc/127_cover_pl.jpg

·
Administrator
19,339 Posts
Hmm, OK the LSC brake swap isn't for everybody. Just sourcing the parts from different places doesn't negate the fact that the LSC setup is just as "bolt-on" as anybody else's setup.
I robbed all the necessary parts off a junkyard LSC for $75. Another $90 to Ultrastang and maybe another $40 for new pads and some brake tubing. My rotros did not need turning, not the the hoses replacing so that adds up to $200 (tough to beat). The splash shields, caliper brackets, and parking brake cable links are found only in the junkyards or Lincoln/Mercury dealer. If you should damage one of the UltraStang brackets, any halfway competent machine shop should be able to make you a duplicate.(The same could likely be said for any disk setup-the brackets involved just aren't that complicated) Every other single part involved is a Ford part, listed in Wagner's replacement parts catalog at almost EVERY single parts store in the nation.
SSBC's kit uses proprietary calipers, rotors, brackets, hoses, pretty much everything. Perhaps they use some OEM brake pads so that if they go out of business or discontinue that particular product you wouldn't be totally screwed. I haven't looked too deeply into them, nor do I own a set so I can't really say much about them beyond that.
I didn't see a $640 kit. The cheapest one I saw was like $800 on their website
Being cheap, I'll stick with the LSC. Nothing against SSBC, but If I had a pocket full of money I think I'd spend it with Baer. Like that'll ever happen.
In the meantime, if I need anything for my LSC rear brakes I can get it at at the local Autozone, or NAPA, or Advance, whatever. I have no doubt the SSBC's perform better, but I've heard experienced roadracers question the need for rear disks at all. In fact there are 2 running vintage Mustangs in the American Iron series who claim they don't need rear disks, nor do they want them. If even basic disks are overkill, then who cares if they perform a bit better?
If you like them because they are prettier, then more power to you. Go for it. If I'm shopping for a part, I'll likely spent more for a chrome or polished one rather than a cheaper, but unfinished part. Looks do matter. Although the LSC brakes are competent, they aren't nearly as attractive as the aftermarket stuff. If you're running 17" 5 spoke wheels or something, this is surely a consideration.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sloan,
Did you find that info in Mustang & Ford? It's not a full-blown article just a small side article under a story about swaps. I think it was around page 30. Let me know if you need more info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts