Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not know where the blue came from...my guess is the red is primer or the original color of the car.

I believe I have good conditions to cut and patch most of the front and leave the seat pan.

Welding...knees knocking toes tapping... http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/scared/scared0014.gif

http://aycu28.webshots.com/image/34347/2004155616791244731_fs.jpg
http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/34765/2005030595222206654_fs.jpg

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Aww come on Mark. Why would you want to replace those floor pans with HEAVY NEW sheet metal. The old stuff already is THINNER and LIGHTER. Heck, the speed holes are already there for ya.

Just kidding. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
What color was the car originally? Typically, the interior floor pans were painted exterior color. Weird two-tone paint schemes like that for original floors are not expected...perhaps someone painted over the floor pans to "prevent (aka enhance) rust"?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
When you say HEAVY NEW sheetmetal, do you mean that the repop floors are a heavier gauge than the originals?? Or is the plan to just weld in heavier shhet of steel??

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
check your door tag (if ti's there) to determine original color.
Ooh that hurts to see holes like that.
I did some work on Myron's floorpans just to reinforce them since my older sisters are a bit...umm larger than I. Go see my pics and be encouraged :)
Good luck !
Robin

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Heavier sheet metal was mentioned in a reponse, not the post...right? The year
wasn't mentioned, or I missed it. Some Fords I've worked on have primer very close
to red. Also the interior paint in my '68 barely reached the base of the floor hump.
Perhaps a PO many years ago sprayed the blue on the low areas to forstall rust.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I received the car with no door tag...and painted the wrong color (clone)

I have been wnating to know the original color ever since.

The Red you see I have found Every where...and it is old paint. On the bottom too Engine bay...everywhere.

Could the Car have been red...and some of the other red under the car and engine bay be primer that is so close in color that I have thought it was the same?

The interior is black, however I can tell it was once white.

So it is my best guess that the car could have been Red with white interior.

Is this a comon interior color?

by the way the Blue is on some of the wiring that goes to the back for speakers...definately not original.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
slim said:
Also the interior paint in my '68 barely reached the base of the floor hump.
Perhaps a PO many years ago sprayed the blue on the low areas to forstall rust.
Hmmm...the Bue paint goe to the base of the pump.

This means the Red I see may be only primer?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
That doesn't loook like red oxide to me, I'm a newb too though :p :p

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Evidently door tag missing or not original...right? Obviously you've
done the usual sluething in hidden or covered areas searching for original paint.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
lleno said:
When you say HEAVY NEW sheetmetal, do you mean that the repop floors are a heavier gauge than the originals?? Or is the plan to just weld in heavier shhet of steel??
Sorry, just a bad attempt at humor. I was insinuating that the new metal will be thicker than the rusted-thin original stuff.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Try looking under the lip of the trunk behind the latch. Few people ever repaint that area.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I read it over a few times and realized it was an attempt at humor :p , just took me a bit to "get it"....

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I would bet that blue is original paint. The over spray you see in the trunk was probably from a repair and subsequent touch up.

If you notice, the blue is very old and goes up behind the kick panels. These areas really only get painted in a full restoration, and it doesn't look like this car has ever received a full restoration.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Here's a link to some pictures of my original floor pans. You can see that they were uniformly painted body color (Dearborn)...

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you look at the pictures again you will see a dark black cord...it is an antenna wire to the radio that goes to the middle of the car just under the window...freakin Moron PO.
Anyway, that cord is painted blue farther back ...same blue.

BUT...possibly the biggest clue that Blue is not the original color is the following.

Look very closely at the close up photo.
You will see a round welded patch...it is a skip weld every 1/2 inch or so. I have now found 4 small patches and all of them are painted over blue. This car received a VERY early restore it seems.
I know the PO is the one that swithed it to a clone. He must have bought it from someone that had restored it to some degree. I have had it for ten years so must have owned it in the early 90's because he had put about 10K into it before I got it for 8K (estate sale ...he was dying of cancer I was told)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just throw a street sign in there and you should be good to go! :p Marty report?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts