Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Ford about 6 months ago and requested a "History 999" report for my 68, it showed up a few days later. Two weeks ago I ordered a Marti report, it came last week. One problem, they don't seem to match 100%. Who do I believe, Ford or Marti?

1- The Ford History 999 report states that my car came with a 390 4V special performance GT engine (or something close to that), and the Marti report has no mention of "GT" or Special Performance GT engine, just says 390 4V.
2- The Ford report says "Blacked out cowl", Marti has no mention of blacked out cowl. What do they mean by "Blacked out cowl? Is that the turn signal hood stripes painted black from the signals back to the cowl?

Anyone have an ideas? I’m not sure if my car is a GT thanks to the vague reports. My car is a 68 "S" code, Factory Candy apple red paint with dark red interior, has the dual muffler hangers in the floor that appears to be factory.

·
Administrator
19,524 Posts
The Marti report is the accurate one. There have been many mistakes show up in the 999 reports.

·
4,141 Posts
Usually if not always the Marti report is more accurate. fd

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would the Marti report state for a GT, "GT option" ?

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I think Ford has bugs in its 999 system.... My 999 report on the Cat was very clearly wrong, despite having the right VIN on the page. I got a Marti report which looked correct (although it contained a few surprises!) A Canadian VMFer submitted my VIN to Ford of Canada, and forwarded a 999 report which DID match the Marti.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have owned my '70 since spring of '74 (low mile original at that time; still under warranty). I wish I could afford the Marti report (haven't sold enough parts yet; plus I keep buying others; heh, heh). So I got the "999" report.
It was 100% correct for what I know of the car. Being in Canada might have made a difference as one other member hinted at.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes, a vehicle that is a factory GT would list the GT option on the Marti. I believe the 390 in 67/68 used GT heads and was referred to as the 390 GT, even if the vehicle was not optioned w/ the GT option package. In 1969, the 390 was id'd as the 390 IP (Improved Performance), ironic, because it was actually a slightly less capable, but more emissions compliant, motor.

·
Administrator
19,524 Posts
True, it's a matter of GIGO considering it's the Ford database. I was lucky with my two reports, both the coupe and the fastback 999 and Marti reports were correct with one difference. The 999 reports don't take into account leapyear and so the build date was one day off for both cars.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If the Marti doesn't show the GT option, it's almost certain that your car is not a GT. I've not heard of the Marti reports being in error, but have heard of many instances where the 999 was incorrect. The Marti report is pulling info - based on VIN - from the original Ford database, so reliability, in my experience and opinion, is very high. I think the site you linked is using the Ford 999 report as the basis for their conclusion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts