Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my deluxe report from Marti along with a new door tag containing 2 rivets in the 2 holes of tag that appear popped. There were also 2 additional rivets in the package that also appear popped.Can these be used to fasten the door tag to the door or am I missing something?...Rivets typically contain a nail on 1 end with a rivet on the other. Anyone receive the same and what did you do to install the tag. I know that the original rivets had a larger hole than most rivets that you see today,Any replies would be appreciated, Thank's, Alan

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
The door rivets do not always get the plate tight to the door. I like to use a small amount of contact cement on the back and on door. To put the rivets on, made an "installer" out of a dowel trimmed down to fit opening in the rivet and keeping end of dowel flat. I put a dab of cement on hole in door and gently tapped in the rivet. Other things can be used but it doesn't take much to "total out" a rivet if hit too hard. :) You were sent the correct attachments to fit the plate.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Those rivets are meant to center punch. Just put them in the holes and tap the center of the rivet with a blunt nailset or similar object, they will expand and should hold well. Be careful not to tap too hard as you will poke right through ;)
blkstlln

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many Thank's, so the extra set of rivets are just that,? Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts