Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got back my Marti report. My 67 convertible is 1 one of 22 with color and trim codes. and 1 of 472,209 with all the other the equipment.
The surprise was "power disc brakes" some how one of the PO's put drum brakes on it. Is that possible? WHY??? Were disc brakes an option in 1967. It is now a different color and interior.

Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Someone opted for drum brakes on mine also, but it still stops well because it is a light car. BTW that is/was beautiful colors. What is it now or is the pic of the new colors?

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
"Were disc brakes an option in 1967. It is now a different color and interior."

Kelsey Hayes (KH) Disc Brakes were an option starting with the 1965 Model year. Disc Brakes were standard on most GT cars, but could be ordered separately if so desired. It was a $56.77 option and it could have been added to ANY V8 Mustang only if you checked off the Disc Brakes box on the Dealer Order Form.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
That’s a good looking car, Richard. Congrats!

As Tony stated above, yes disc brakes were available with or without a GT package. My 67 S code non-GT car has them up front

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Funny thing was, back in the day the steel 4 piston disc brake callipers would start to rust and seize up after some years. Happened to us in mid 1970's. Fixing all those pistons/bores/seals was a chore and some people didn't trust the disc brakes yet, so rather than fix them up some folks would revert to the old "go with what they knew worked in the day" drum brakes. Sounds, well, ret*rded today, but that's how it was back then.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
That's True, Original K/H Disc Brake Calipers had ALL STEEL Pistons and ALl STEEL SLEEVES which rusted/seized if the car sat for too long or even after a week of good rain!! We take it for granted today that the majority of rebuilt K/H Calipers today come with Stainless Steel Pistons and Stainless Steel Sleeves. Something that many overlook!

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
When I got my marti report I was pleased to find it was one of 500ish color/trim- but then it went down to the 1 of 1 status-

get this- even though there were some raritys on the car; they didn't make it rare- what made it 1 of 1 - it was ordered with extra SKINNY tires- LOL-

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
If it was a fastback. swapping out disc for drums was done a lot by street racers for less drag. Old disc stopped pretty good by rubbed on calipers. Other thing was maybe someone restored it before and had a drum car around for parts, as they were more common. Nice looking car !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts