Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question on masking tape. I used the blue 3M painters tape on a newly painted door jam to shoot the rocker panel, and it eched a fairly deep dulled finish into paint. Looks to be some type of chemical reaction :wall:

The new paint cured I believe 2 days, and the masking tape I believe was on 3 days. Paint is PPG DCC single stage acrylic urethane. What chaps my hide is I rubbed out twice and it's still not completely gone. WTH is up with that??

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
There is a quick release blue paint for painting that you can leave on for days. I used it on my fastback. But, I think it is different from the hardware store stuff. I do know that I purchased it at the auto paint store, along with the regular green tape.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't think they reconmend tapeing fresh paint for no longer than nessary than to apply the next steps then unmask for baking [6-8 hours tape time max] [not 3 days]

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes...I also bought the lime green from Wesco (autobody), and the blue also from Home Depot.....as far as..... Test before use ....well....just how the hell are you going to do that without putting it on fresh paint?? No, I'm not going to paint some junk panel to test masking tape on! :wall:

Laurie....the blue 3M I used said good for 4 days also....thats why I figured 3 was safe (it was actually on about 48 hours).....NOT. ::

Also, I used the blue tape all over on the original paint and it did nothing to the paint, I believe the old paint is a hardened enamel...not sure though.

As a warning to others, this is the culpret. "Stick" to the lime green! (I'm glad I found out on a door jam, and not the hood!)

http://www.3m.com/brands/scotch/images/blue/274051.jpg

·
Registered
164 Posts
The 3M blue tape is safe for oil based and latex paints. 3M makes an automotive application called appeture tape, designed specificlally for masking off door jambs/fenders, etc, for a smooth paint line.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I have never liked the blue painters tape. It was 3M product too. It would not stick nearly as well as the green tape, which was my complaint. Maybe that is why 3M claims a longer use time! :p

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
The paint was not fully cured & that is why it messed up. The taped didn't allow the solvent to evaporate. Probably didn't have anything to do with the type of tape you used.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The taped didn't allow the solvent to evaporate
This makes the most sence to me, so given thats the case just how long would I need to wait to be safe to leave tape 24-48 hours? I prefer to do a color sand before shooting the 3rd coat which requires leaving overnight at least....and this info will be handy when I shoot the hood, and other more visible areas. TIA.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Are you only painting the rockerpanel & jams? If so spray them both at the same time.
If not, this is what I'd do:
Spray area.
Keep shop as warm as possible for as long as possible.
Wait at least 24-30 hours.
Use paper to cover the area instead of mainly tape. Instead of laying the tape down & then covering the rest with paper put the tape on the paper with only a bit of tape over the paper edge. This will let you tape off the area with just a small bit of tape actually touching the paint.
As soon as you spray the 2nd time remove the tape & paper.
*** Here's a little trick ***
When you pull the tape off the roll press it on your pants. This will remove a lot of the sticky stuff & still allow it to stick to the car. But it will come off real easy.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I'll try those suggestions. I was doing spot repair on the outer door as well, so wanted to shoot that and rocker at same time which requires taping off. My concern now is when I re shoot the hood (and other spot repairs) and taping off fresh paint for stripes. I will HAVE to tape over fresh paint, and there must be some rule of thumb I'm not aware of that others know about. ::

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I've done many stripes on cars. If you're using basecoat/clearcoat you only have to wait an hour or so before taping onto the base. Doing a repair over the clear requires the long wait.
Single stage paint is totally different. It's gotta be dry. That's where the waiting comes in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts