Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on using Noico 150 mil PE closed cell heat and sound insulation in some places the carpet will not cover.

Which is the best option for the carpted areas?
  • Foam insulation under a mass backed carpet
  • Foam insulation under a standard carpet
  • Mass backed carpet with no foam insulation

Note: I will also be using Kilmat 80 mil Butyl sound deadener

·
Registered
849 Posts
I used Noico 80 mil. sound deadener, original-style underlayment and mass backed carpet in my 66. I don't think there's any one best option, it's more how quiet do you want it to be and how much do you want to pay.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I would like to do a spray on like Lizard skin then layers of noico then the mass carpet. If there was room and it wasn't so expensive I would put a layer of the sheet stuff that is a layer of vinyl then a layer of lead and then a layer of foam. Great stuff but very expensive.

I wish someone would make carper for cars like the stuff that GM used in the 80s. It was carpet on a very heavy and thick mass vinyl backing. Very good stuff and nothing even in new cars comes close to it. They are doing more spray on and caulking on deadening these days. I guess that goop is pretty cheap for the factories but aftermarket that stuff is really expensive.

FYI take a look at some of the stuff like this and undercoatings from sellers in the UK. Products like 3M and just as good but their prices are way lower (after the currency conversion. My plan is when I get to make a trip there.... I want to go shopping there and have an inventory of stuff to use.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was in the same quandary as you both are talking about. While I wanted to paint on a coating that would deaden sound and block heat from the outside, I just could not believe how expensive that was going to be. I started researching the effective ingredients of Lizard Skin coatings, and found something that seemed to have a lot in common with the science. The stuff I found was called “microspheres” (tiny glass spheres or bubbles) that are added to the paint or coating you choose, to aid in the deadening of sound and thermal transfer. See info in pics. Then I used Noico 80 to add another layer of sound deadening under the carport. I was very satisfied with the results, and it didn’t break the bank.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,900 Posts
I'm not sure what year your car is, but at least for the '65/66 cars, the mass-backed carpet fits significantly better than just the normal one. I had all kinds of weird bunching and extra fabric with the standard ACC carpet but the mass backed slid into place and fit perfectly first go-round. So I would definitely use that instead of the standard carpet.

As far as insulationg goes, if I were made of money, I would go with Lizardskin ceramic heat/noise deadener. It's bulletproof and does a great job, and does not ever get moisture stuck between it and the floors (as may happen with other noise deadeners). But I'm always looking for ways to cut down heat since I live in Texas so I've got my eyeball on that benefit of it as well, I suppose.

In my car, I used Frost King duct insulation to add some mass to the floor to stop it from vibrating, then put the mass back carpet over top. I assume that it's pretty reasonably effective. I kind of mitigate my own work because I leave the window open at all speeds/temps anyways so it's not like I could hear anyone talking if I tried. There is definitely space to fit the extra foam insulation under the mass backed carpet, so if you've got the cash to do it, you might as well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I’m curious about this too. I have flowmaster 40 delta mufflers and I’m concerned about drone. I was planning on noico 80mil and mass backed carpet. Also considering adding noico 160mil PE to the mix.
I have Flowmaster 50 Delta series. I used Dynamat on the floor and have noticed significant noise reduction. A little drone is present but even my wife says my car is noticeably quieter.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
I covered my entire floor area and doors with Noico peel and stick. Great stuff. I added a thermal blanket on top using a spray adhesive then topped it off with mass backed carpet. Yeah, I took Kelly's advice and went with the mass back and I'm glad I did. That carpet went in like butter. I had to do some minor trimming only in a few areas.

I have Flowmasters and, despite all the sound deadener, the drone was still overwhelming. I had to have my exhaut guy add resonators. Still sounds badass, but now it's liveable for long drives. The sound deadener SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the road noise. At 75 MPH, it's mostly wind noise with the nice purr of the Cleveland up front. FYI, putting the Noico on the inside of the taillight panel made a huge difference in noise reduction. I'm going to put some more in the trunk area. I suspect I'm still getting some noise from back there.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I will go with the mass backed carpet.
I have FlowMaster 40's on her too. I'll probably replace those at some point but I'll definitely be insulating under and behind the rear seats.

Now, I was just about to order the Noico 150mil PE that comes cut in rectangles when I saw this 4'x10' roll.
The roll is thicker (1/4") and has more square footage but I'll have to use an adhesive.
I think I'm going to use the roll with a spray on adhesive instead of the Noico tiles.

Noico vs Roll

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have series 10, with long tubes. It's loud.

When I replaced the carpet I deadened the floor first and then added the mass backed. The carpet I got from CJ and the fit is amazing. I added the center concel while the seats were out as it can't be done with them in.

Reactions: DonP

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I will go with the mass backed carpet.
I have FlowMaster 40's on her too. I'll probably replace those at some point but I'll definitely be insulating under and behind the rear seats.

Now, I was just about to order the Noico 150mil PE that comes cut in rectangles when I saw this 4'x10' roll.
The roll is thicker (1/4") and has more square footage but I'll have to use an adhesive.
I think I'm going to use the roll with a spray on adhesive instead of the Noico tiles.

Noico vs Roll
The roll stuff is more of a heat barrier than a sound deadener. I would suggest using the peel and stick first, then putting the roll stuff over it as a heat barrier. Use HVAC tape on the seams of the heat barrier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts