Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a T5 swap crossmember for a 66 coupe and it doesn't fit. Not even close in my opinion. I called him and expressed my concerns regarding fore and aft fit. He suggested checking my mounts and that over 45 years things move a little. I humg up, went to check for right and left and it doesn't line up with the bolt holes in the tranny tunnel. I emailed him a photo. He offered to order a mount from a different supplier and mentioned that with every crossmember I will have to make it fit. I am sure I have the wrong mount.

The vender is a reputable guy but I am starting to have my doubts.

If I have to make it fit than I am going to build my own. Can some one who has a satisfactory install tell me how much room there is between the top of the tranny and the tunnel and at which point? preferrably the rear. Photos would be great too. thanks

Ocho

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Here's a pic from when mine was in

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii272/d_harrelson/T-5%20shifter/PC260488.jpg

Looks like about 3/4" from the top of the shifter mounting plate to the edge of the stock shifter opening ('65). The B&M shifter has a thicker plate than stock, so it's maybe 1/4" closer than a stock T-5 shifter plate would be.
Link to hi-res.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
heh...tnhis wont help much...but this is how my shifter fits...its a T45 w/ a steeda tri-ax...I made my own crossmember brackets and used a SN95 crossmember....

I have roughly 1/2"

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
clears the top by maybe a half inch, as you can see...maybe more.

I trimmed an inch off the forward part of the tunnel, and a smidgen off the right side, i've got a 6x4 hole now

·
Registered
54 Posts
This may sound a little stupid, but did you try it both ways? I hooked my up the 'right way' ( in my own head ) and it turned out I put it in backwards. It had a lot of play, but only fit in one way. It fit tight the one way and not at all the other way.
Mine was a '67 both times I did it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had to really massage mine as well. It was a 66 and I had to elongate the holes in the mount and the cross member. When I started I was off about an inch. With the addition of the jack and some aggressive massaging I got it in there.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made my own. I used 1/8" plate, 1 1/4" square tube and 2" angle iron. I guessed on the final location then lowered it 1/4". I figured I can shim it up and not down if necessary. If I knew how to post pictures I would.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts