Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently replaced the vacuum modulator on my 1965 mustang coupe (260/auto/c4). I also replaced the vacuum tubing that runs from the engine to the modulator itself. After this replacement I took it for a test drive and the shifting was immensely better. The next day the car was taken on a short drive to church (4 miles there and back), and began leaking trans fluid. I wasn’t driving it when this happened and when I returned home there was trans fluid all underneath the car, on the steering linkage, trans itself, and even in the engine bay on the inside of the hood back by the brake master cylinder. Not to mention, a Massive trail leading right back to my house on the neighborhood streets (Which I’m sure my neighbors will love me for ;). I think the leak is coming from the modulator (perhaps I simply didn’t tighten it enough), but that doesn’t explain the excess of fluid on the rest of the car. Especially given the fact that the bulk of the mess is located in front of the modulator so I don’t understand how it could have gotten there. Any suggestions? How should I go about trouble shooting without painting the rest of my neighborhood? Thanks! Happy thanksgiving!

·
I won a special award
8,186 Posts
Do you have power steering? The fact that the fluid is on steering components and under the hood makes me suspicious of a power steering leak. I've never had trans fluid in the engine compartment on a trans leak before.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have power steering? The fact that the fluid is on steering components and under the hood makes me suspicious of a power steering leak. I've never had trans fluid in the engine compartment on a trans leak before.
I do, it’s interesting that you say that. I figured that the red liquid all over the car had to bbs trans fluid. I’ll check the levels.

·
I won a special award
8,186 Posts
I do, it’s interesting that you say that. I figured that the red liquid all over the car had to bbs trans fluid. I’ll check the levels.
Vintage Mustangs use Type F trans fluid for the power steering.

·
Premium Member
8,273 Posts
I had a HUGE leak under hood once and figured out it because one of my doggone AT cooling lines got too close to the crank pulley and it rubbed a hole in it ! What a mess !

·
Registered
120 Posts
Y

Yeah it came with a new one. Which i installed
Make sure it didn't get cut when you installed it.

Is the trans level low? Is the PS low? I would fill whatever is low and put it in the air then clean everything with brake clean and a blow gun then run the car and you should see where it's coming from. Hopefully you can figure it out without having to go through all of that. Good luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So yea it was power steering fluid! I found one of the lines had a hole in it as it had been bent at a weird angle. I took it out for now and will purchase a new like. My only issue now is that their seems to be an abundance of smoke originating from where the exhaust pipes come together near the trans. I figure it’s excess fluid that’s burning off from the spill. It seems to be smoking a lot though. Is that normal for trans fluid to smoke a lot if it manages to get onto the headers/piping?

·
I won a special award
8,186 Posts
So yea it was power steering fluid! I found one of the lines had a hole in it as it had been bent at a weird angle. I took it out for now and will purchase a new like. My only issue now is that their seems to be an abundance of smoke originating from where the exhaust pipes come together near the trans. I figure it’s excess fluid that’s burning off from the spill. It seems to be smoking a lot though. Is that normal for trans fluid to smoke a lot if it manages to get onto the headers/piping?
Glad you found it. Yeah, it's normal for it to smoke for a bit when ATF has coated your exhaust. Take it for a drive and get the exhaust nice and toasty. That will get rid of the residual ATF on the exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I was going to say if it was leaking that bad you wouldn't have made it home

As little as 1 qt down and you may not move to well.

Imo replace all the PS hoses and also the seats for the valve.

If you do peice work with PS you'll have drips on top of drips

Reactions: HoustonGlock

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you found it. Yeah, it's normal for it to smoke for a bit when ATF has coated your exhaust. Take it for a drive and get the exhaust nice and toasty. That will get rid of the residual ATF on the exhaust pipes.
Yeah I figured I ran it for maybe 45 minutes and it smoked the whole time. It was a lot of fluid that leaked.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was going to say if it was leaking that bad you wouldn't have made it home

As little as 1 qt down and you may not move to well.

Imo replace all the PS hoses and also the seats for the valve.

If you do peice work with PS you'll have drips on top of drips
I’m glad it was power steering and not transmission because you would not believe how much leaked onto the road. There is still a thick 1/2 mile line leading to our house.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had really good luck using a product called Chomp Pull It Out to remove transmission fluid from my driveway. It costs too much to clean the whole street, but it could help cleaning up your driveway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts