Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 and would like to convert to a dual master cyl.
Does anyone know where to get one? Or can a person just use a dual master cyl off a later mustang? Thanks, Stormy

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've been told the '74 maverick m.c. works well. I just bought one and will be putting it in within the next few weeks. We'll see how it works.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Stormy, you can get a master cylinder for a 67 mustang and bolt it right on the car. You will need a couple of reducing fittings that most any good auto store will have. I just converted a 65 and my 66 over - my brakes on both of these cars are power - You will need a low profile booster if you want to go with power drum brakes using a 67 master cyl.

National parts depot has these for 249.00. You can get a master cylinder for 20 bucks rebuilt about anywhere. All I did was remove the line from the dist block on the inner fender, put a plug in it and bent a new line for the front brakes. Simple job if you are a decent mechanic. I can send you photos of mine if you like. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If you already have front disks, view my previous post here .

Can't help with changeovers for drums, unless that is what the 67 MC is for.

Paul

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If you convert drum brakes to the dual master cyl don't forget the combination valve too otherwise you're wasting your time. That valve is a shuttle that blocks off a failed half of your brakes allowing the remaining half to stop the car. I'm NOT refering to a proportioning valve which is used on a disc brake setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts